battery died... little help here - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2005, 07:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Power Shifting

Car:
Photos:
Cruzin 323is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Cruzin 323is
battery died... little help here

whats up guys.. recently i bought an optima red top battery... and its been working great... no probs whatsoever... anyways, yesterday, when i go and hit the unlock button on my remote... the BEEP BEEP sounded very dim... so i start the car up, and didn't think much about it...

today i go out to my car.. and realized that the alarm beep is low again...so i go to start it.. and all i get is a CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK noise... the car doesnt start... i tried again.. and nothing...

so anyways, i borrowed a battery charger from a friend of mine, and hooked it up... waited 3 hours.. and started it agian,

it started right up, no problems...

my problem is... how do i know what the problem is... chances are its the alternator... which isn't charging the battery..

any input is appreciated...

stuff for sale on my e36.. CHeck it out!
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/aft...e36-49128.html
Cruzin 323is is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2005, 08:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
tomctx is an unknown quantity at this point
To check the alternator, put a multi-meter (on DC volts) across the battery posts with the car running. You should see about 13.5 to a little over 14 volts if the alternator is working. Any less and the alternator is not working properly. If the alternator tests Okay, probably something draining the battery.
1995 325I, window tint, K&N, debaffled airbox, BMW #104 wheels, Nighthawk low beams, smoked side markers, smoked corners, smoked taillights, M3 stlye heated mirrors, various interior bits, Bosal cat-back.
tomctx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 11:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
quality

Car: 2001 330i & 2011 550i
Photos:
Delmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
sound's like something is draining the battery overnight...or the battery wire may be loose and not recharging the battery correctly. For eg. if you have HIDs turn them OFF before taking the key out your car.
I've had similar problems in the past and thse were the solutions.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car: 99 323i ragtop
Photos:
SpooldUp will become famous soon enoughSpooldUp will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to SpooldUp
if you suspect a short and dont have a multimeter you can disconnect a battery cable (pos or neg) and reconnect it. if you see a big arc when reconnecting it, odds are something is drawing too much current. If you have a multimeter, set in in ammeter mode and probe across the subsystem fuses. if you do in fact own a multimeter i will assume you know what i am talking about.

<CENTER>

</CENTER>

where's my beer?
best website ever

"I'm not even supposed to be here today"

SpooldUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 01:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Been here a while.

Car: Blah
Photos:
97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
How long are you driving your car... cause if your alternator is dead... it wouldnt last all that long... your car will die... but I'd check the alternator output... and see where that stands... if she isnt sending all the volts... she will not charge the batter... order of importance for power. Car > batt.

Les

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
97alpineM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 12:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Power Shifting

Car:
Photos:
Cruzin 323is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Cruzin 323is
well here is half of the follow up... i brought the car to the mechanic to check out my alternator... the alternator seems fine.. when he checked the battery, he said that the battery isn't holding the charge... chances are its a faulty battery... LETS JUST HOPE... but besides that... how am i sopposed to know what is drawing power from the battery overnight...???

i mean, i have a system in the trunk, and a viper alarm... i mean, thats pretty much it...

i checked to see if the amp is still on when the car is off.. and thats not it... my only other guess is the alarm????

how will i be able to figure this out... too see what is drawing the power...??

stuff for sale on my e36.. CHeck it out!
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/aft...e36-49128.html
Cruzin 323is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 09:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Threadkiller

Car:
Photos:
bitcore will become famous soon enoughbitcore will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to bitcore Send a message via AIM to bitcore Send a message via MSN to bitcore
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooldUp
if you suspect a short and dont have a multimeter you can disconnect a battery cable (pos or neg) and reconnect it. if you see a big arc when reconnecting it, odds are something is drawing too much current. If you have a multimeter, set in in ammeter mode and probe across the subsystem fuses. if you do in fact own a multimeter i will assume you know what i am talking about.
Do this when the car is off.
For the fuses, unplug the battery and you can test the ohm resistance, if you have infinate resistance then the equipment that uses that fuse is completey off. If there is less than infinate resistance, then current will be flowing when you hook that battery up and thats where your overnight drain is coming from. ... From there, you gotta figure out what is using that fuse bank and trace it back to the component that's fscking up.

bitcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 02:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
93 325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 93 325i
great, i was just about to buy the red top and now have doubts..

My 1993 325i
93 325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 11:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
LYFE SUCK5

Car: 2008 Infiniti G35
Photos:
Ivan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant futureIvan has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Ivan
hope it's the alternator for easiness's sake
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)