BMW Werkz banner

Bad Gas or clogged cat

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  dj55 
#1 ·
Have an old BMW 1997 328i. 240,000. Besides needing a new ignitiion switch I noticed car loosing power at times just thought I was out of gas as I have kept it very low. It starts fine but at times its starts jumping like erratic idle and no power but notice that more after having reved it a bit. Its all weird.. If there was water in the tank could that cause the same symptoms? If I drive it very slow and easy it seems okay but each day you never know.. If it was bad gas wouldn't it be all the time?? Cat has been gone for years now..Cannot afford much on this car and looking to sell it at some point possibly but cannot get a new car... If Cat is plugged up will putting cat cleaner in worth a try??? Or if its the gas putting a water solvent in.... What are my cheapest options and will trying all these things make matters worse. Whats interesting if I come home after the erratic idle starts and clogged feeling and turn off car it goes away?? But will show up again....Any ideas?? :frown:

#3 ·
No .more under the car when its erratic.Its so odd as once I clear it after reving high or if it does not clear and idles erratically and I shut it off then start it half hour later it goes away. You just never know when its going to happen. Wish I knew a good HONEST mechanic here. But with no $$$$$ I'm in deep trouble

#5 ·
I agree with that but I'm not too good at doing all this stuff esp if its detailed. Will be putting in Ignition switch. Left a repair place and they left me with no fuel gauge working and no speedometer working after installing a key cylinder and housing. They are the most clueless horrible people I have ever come across.DID NOT MAKE GOOD ON IT.. Cannot believe they have a license. I did notice the cat has a slight crack/hole in it but I'm sure its been there for years. Car does need a lot of work.. I drove around for over an hour yesterday it was fine then its started acting up. So really reved it up and it cleared it self....Wish you lived near me~~ Thanks

#6 ·
also just to add. I had added 0-40 synthetic oil a quart of it when I have been using 5W-40 synthetic Rotella... Could oil be getting under the spark plugs? Should I try to put gas treatment in. I really do not just want to keep trying different things without really knowing as it may make things worse. Its driving me nuts..

#7 ·
Well just to say. This whole thing is odd and possibly could be the ignition switch.. It started chug a lugging at the driveup at the bank. So i turned car off waited a minute or so then started it and the problem went away? But does come back everyday depending but I will just have to shut car off then on and new switch put in soon? Any thoughts.. The chug a lugging sound seems to be under the engine if I look under car its more at the bottom in the square box area??????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.