Bad E.c.u - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 12:18 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
AllEyezOnMe is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I recently took my car car in to have the transmission rebuilt, after the work on the tranny was done the mechanic called me & told me that the car would'nt start.(He did get to start it and test drive after he rebuilt the transmission but once he parked it and tried to move it again thats when the problem came about. )He asked me if I ever had problems starting the car, I told him that had never happened to me before. (Prior to taking the car in to fix the transmission it had been sitting for about 9 months I jumpstarted the car twice).So he told me since we knew that the batterey had died out he asked me to go & buy a new battery, which I did, but that did'nt help. Now I am going on two weeks & the mechanic is telling me that I have a bad E.C.U. Is it possible that that the E.C.U could've been damaged by jumstarting the car?? Or what the mechanic told me he had to do is put a booster to start the car??

Please help...I am already in the hole $2,200 in the hole getting my transmission fixed. I need to know if the mechanic was at fault for using a booster..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 12:18 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
ive heard of this possibility before, however i was never updated on how it went. unfortunately i cant be much help , so consider this a friendly bump for your thread.

#3 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 09:06 PM
1st Gear Member

supark is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, it's possible - but I've never had it happen on any cars I've had that were jumpstarted.

Dang $2200 for the transmission though?? Man, I'm glad I can do that kind of stuff myself.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 09:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Gator is an unknown quantity at this point
If the car had been sitting for nine months and you didn't add stabilizer to the gas, it is very likely that the gas went bad. When this happens it forms gummy deposits in the fuel system which prevent the car from starting and running properly. The fuel injectors could be plugged and other parts of the fuel injection could be clogged too. I'd suspect this is the problem and not the ECU.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 11:22 PM
n00b

Lunardc is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lunardc
Quote:
Originally posted by Gator@Dec 9 2004, 09:18 PM
If the car had been sitting for nine months and you didn't add stabilizer to the gas, it is very likely that the gas went bad. When this happens it forms gummy deposits in the fuel system which prevent the car from starting and running properly. The fuel injectors could be plugged and other parts of the fuel injection could be clogged too. I'd suspect this is the problem and not the ECU.
[snapback]246822[/snapback]

Well, I say tell him to look at the O2 sensor. I know when my car wouldn't start, bmw said it was my sensor. It went bad out of no where. Other then that I doubt it's the ECU but it could happen.
Goodluck bro
#6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 10:31 AM
pcy
Neutral Member

pcy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

Well, I say tell him to look at the O2 sensor. I know when my car wouldn't start, bmw said it was my sensor. It went bad out of no where. Other then that I doubt it's the ECU but it could happen.
Goodluck bro
O2 Sensor info. is ignored [or not read] until car goes in to closed loop mode.
In other words, until the car warms up, O2 sensor has nothing to do with starting the car.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)