Auxiliary Fan - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 12:01 PM
2nd Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
e36surge is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to e36surge Send a message via MSN to e36surge
(Thread Starter)
Just curious. I left my car running with the wife in the car while my AC was on to go to the bank. When I came out of the bank I noticed that my Aux Fan was not spinning. Is it supposed to be spinning when the AC is on? The AC blows cold even though it doesn't spin.

Never really cared for AC until the wife started complaining about the heat so not really knowledgeable about AC (first time I have a car with working AC).

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 12:28 PM
1st Gear Member

victorgallas is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by e36surge@Aug 2 2005, 11:01 AM
Just curious. I left my car running with the wife in the car while my AC was on to go to the bank. When I came out of the bank I noticed that my Aux Fan was not spinning. Is it supposed to be spinning when the AC is on? The AC blows cold even though it doesn't spin.

Never really cared for AC until the wife started complaining about the heat so not really knowledgeable about AC (first time I have a car with working AC).

Thanks
[snapback]366833[/snapback]
Your aux. fan should be on while the AC runs, but keep in mind that this fan will turn on then will turn off based on the AC compressor cycle. If cokmpressor is engaged, fan comes on, and so on.

What does happen once in a while is that the ac pressure swicht, the one that controls this fan goes bad, or the contacts get dirty.

To check this, find this pressure swicth it is a swicth located on the top of the ac drier canister the metal round thing that sits under the winshiled washer fluid tank inside the engine bay. This swicth has four wire out of it, and goes to two plugs, pull this plugs out, clean them with a good contact cleaner and put it back;. IF the fan work, youre done, if not, read on;

Check all electrical connections and wires for the fan system, most of the time dirty and corroded contacts will be the culprid.
Then If nothing works, then plug 12v straigh to the fan and see if it runs, if not, the fan is dead.. anyway i am almost positive that is the electrical contacts on the pressure swith that got dirty. If the siwcth itself is dead replacement requires the complete evacuation of freon of the system, this has to be done on a shop.

To check if its the siwcth just jump the contacts that the siwcth is plugged into and see what happens. One will trigger low speed fan and the other high speed fan..

let me know if futher helkp is needed.

Victor.

You are a BMW driver when you become part of the "Ultimate Driving Machine"

Fraude an Fahren
BMW > Bayerische Motorenwerke

Auf Viedersehen der herr

www.clemsonfsae.com
#3 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 02:57 PM
2nd Gear Member

e36surge is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to e36surge Send a message via MSN to e36surge
(Thread Starter)
Thanks Victor. I'll take a look later. Will bump if I need anything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)