Automatic transmission feels like it is "slipping" - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2006, 11:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 2003 325xi
Photos:
wagnerone is on a distinguished road
Question Automatic transmission feels like it is "slipping"

I've had my 2003 BMW 325xi for about 2 weeks now and, after about a week or so I noticed, on a cold start in the morning, the tranmission seems to "slip" every so slightly the first time I put it in drive.

I actually have to reverse out of my parking spot and then put it in drive to do a 2-3 point turn around. It doesn't seem to do anything unordinary backing out, but the first time I put it in drive and push the gas, the RPMs go up as expected, but the car doesn't move for like 1-2 seconds (max). This sometimes happens the 2nd shift into drive in the 2-3 point turn to get out of my parking spot, but typically completely stops after that for the remainder of the time I drive it.

It is actually in the repair shop at the BMW dealer I bought it from right now. It stayed there overnight in order for them to cold start and try to feel what I felt. Of course, it either didn't do it for them or they just didn't feel it. They wanted to keep it another day, but, after talking with them, I'm not sure there is actually anything "wrong". It was clear on the computer check and all fluids were at optimal levels.

I'm used to driving domestic, American vehicles and I understand they are quite different (and in ways I have yet to discover too). I just know that no auto trans I've had in any other vehicle I've driven ever did that without something bad being wrong.

I understand there is a lot more going on in this transmission compared to say, my 1997 Explorer, what with the Steptronic stuff, torque converter, etc., but it seems lame that I feel that slip now and then regardless. This is supposed to be a step beyond the domestic, normal cars I've driven!

Anyway, does this sound like something to be concerned about?

Mike

Last edited by wagnerone; 07-28-2006 at 12:01 PM.
wagnerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2006, 09:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Hamfisted is on a distinguished road
Have you checked the fluid level?

How many miles are on it? Have you checked the fluid level? What you describe is not normal performance and should be looked at.

Mike
Hamfisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 06:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Been here a while.

Car: Blah
Photos:
97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
Check the fluid level...

I'll move this to the correct e46 forum...

Good Luck,

Les

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
97alpineM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
my car is red

Car: 94 325i, 84 325e
Photos:
94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to 94BMW325i Send a message via Yahoo to 94BMW325i
are you still rolling back when you put it in drive? my car does that, but if I do a turn like that and stop completely and do it, nothing happens.

member and partial creator of pimpin the auto club
94BMW325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 12:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
I am Teh Edumacator.

Car: 1999 Dinan 540i/6, 1995 Dinan 749
Photos:
Teh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Hmm, I'm thinking torque converter.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
Teh Prof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
mmclaren is an unknown quantity at this point
Had the Same problem, low Fluid
mmclaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Devinish is a splendid one to beholdDevinish is a splendid one to beholdDevinish is a splendid one to beholdDevinish is a splendid one to beholdDevinish is a splendid one to beholdDevinish is a splendid one to beholdDevinish is a splendid one to beholdDevinish is a splendid one to behold
At first I thought it was the Tq. Converter, but if it only does it in first gear, and not while backing out, then I dont think it is... When you back out, push the pedal a little bit more than you normally would, and see if it has that problem, then I would say it is a torque converter problem, if not, then it has to be a transmission problem. You might want to add a little bit of fluid though, even though they say it is "optimal."

The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
Devinish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
/Banned

Car: Audi
Photos:
preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash
Send a message via AIM to preyash Send a message via MSN to preyash Send a message via Yahoo to preyash
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagnerone
I've had my 2003 BMW 325xi for about 2 weeks now and, after about a week or so I noticed, on a cold start in the morning, the tranmission seems to "slip" every so slightly the first time I put it in drive.

I actually have to reverse out of my parking spot and then put it in drive to do a 2-3 point turn around. It doesn't seem to do anything unordinary backing out, but the first time I put it in drive and push the gas, the RPMs go up as expected, but the car doesn't move for like 1-2 seconds (max). This sometimes happens the 2nd shift into drive in the 2-3 point turn to get out of my parking spot, but typically completely stops after that for the remainder of the time I drive it.

It is actually in the repair shop at the BMW dealer I bought it from right now. It stayed there overnight in order for them to cold start and try to feel what I felt. Of course, it either didn't do it for them or they just didn't feel it. They wanted to keep it another day, but, after talking with them, I'm not sure there is actually anything "wrong". It was clear on the computer check and all fluids were at optimal levels.

I'm used to driving domestic, American vehicles and I understand they are quite different (and in ways I have yet to discover too). I just know that no auto trans I've had in any other vehicle I've driven ever did that without something bad being wrong.

I understand there is a lot more going on in this transmission compared to say, my 1997 Explorer, what with the Steptronic stuff, torque converter, etc., but it seems lame that I feel that slip now and then regardless. This is supposed to be a step beyond the domestic, normal cars I've driven!

Anyway, does this sound like something to be concerned about?

Mike
Maybe someone put KY jelly in the transmission, that is why its slipping. LOL..
You should have it checked at a experienced mechanic that works on GERMAN vehicles

Good luck
Preyash
preyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 2003 325xi
Photos:
wagnerone is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the pertinent replies and for moving the message to the correct posting area (I realized soon after I posted it was in the wrong place, but didn't see a way to move it myself).

As the original post stated, the BMW dealer (which does work on German vehicles ) performed the initial, Certified Pre-Owned inspections and the followup work/investigation of this particular issue.

I'll try giving it more gas on the initial tran engagement (backing out of my parking spot) and see if it does it then. And, I'll also ensure to come to a complete stop after reversing out of the spot and see if it happens. Good suggestions.

I'll double-check the fluid level as well just to be sure.

Thanks again, everybody, for the comments and suggestions.

Mike
wagnerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)