Auto-trans Modes Of Operation - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 05:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just_program is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to just_program Send a message via MSN to just_program Send a message via Yahoo to just_program
(Thread Starter)
I posted the below information in the Driving Tales section but since this comes up every so often here, I thought I would post the correct information. I have been meaning to do this for some time but I really wanted to do a conversion from the cassette to a .mp3 format for everyone to have. Sorry for the double post. IF the admins feel this needs to be elsewhere, please move it or delete it. Thanks.

Okay, I just gotta clear something up here. The "M" mode for the transmission is NOT for shifting manuallly. The automatic transmissions in the E36 has 3 modes of operation. I got this information from the BMW New Owners cassette in my glove compartment so I will assume that it is correct. Yes, I still have that cassette and listen to it from time to time because I like hearing the man and woman tell me over and over again that I drive "The Ultimate Driving Machine".

Economical Mode - This is when the transmission is in D and the A/M switch is in the A position. D stands for Drive for those that dont know, although I would hope everyone would know that. When in Economical mode the shift points are lower and the car is less responsive. This is a gas saving mode of operation and for everyday driving. You can still depress the accelerator further than normal to cause the car to downshift for passing.

Manual Mode - This is when the A/M switch is in the M position. The reason for this mode is for hazardous driving conditions, such as ICE and SNOW. By putting the car in 2 or 3 you may start out on slick surfaces without spinning the wheels. This also allows you to keep the car in one gear for help when decending down inclines. You may shift manually if you desire but it IS NOT recommended. (In other words, this is NOT a RACE mode.)

Sport Mode - This is when the A/M switch is in the A position and the transmission is in 3. By putting the transmission in 3 you can utilize all of the cars power and performance. This give you a higher shift point but a lower top speed. Enjoy.

I have driven my auto trans in all combinations. When in economy mode my shift points, when standing on the throttle, are around 5700 rpm. When in Sport mode my shift points, when standing on the throttle, are around 6200 - 6300 rpm. I spend most of my time in econ mode but when I need quicker acceleration, I drop into Sport mode. Use this information at your own risk.

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die"
Hunter S. Thompson

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Hunter S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 06:53 PM
1st Gear Member

MrChance is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for that.

Three Words: More Cow Bell

Member of the "My last BMW had 462k miles on it and still ran like a monster so I bought another one" club.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 08:34 PM
Neutral Member

BMWspeedracer is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BMWspeedracer Send a message via MSN to BMWspeedracer
good stuff. I used to shift the car manually in A mode,(1 to2 then to 3)
but if its the same as just leaving it at 3 then what the hell is the point of shifting it myself. Actually, maybe it would still make sense to manually do it cause if ur just at lets say coasting at 4g in second gear, then car would shift for you, but sometimes I like to stay at 4K for a while until I'm ready to punch it.

Former Nissan 240sx owner...

Now BMW owner...

and not missing the 240 too much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)