BMW Werkz banner

Auto Power Windows Acting Up!

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  bad man working 
#1 ·
I just bought a 96 328iS and the drivers side window will automatically go up but not auto down. It works fine if you hold it but the auto function only works when it goes up. The passenger side is the exact opposite, it goes down auto but not up auto. Do i just need to replace the switches? Please help!

#2 ·
You could try swapping the switches and see if the windows behave in the same way (drivers will auto down, but not up, passenger will auto up, not down) and if they do that, you could start by replacing the switches. If switching the window control switches doesn't change the behavior of the window, you might pull off the door panel and check your wiring.

#3 ·
switches break, mine did, thers a fucking little glass (yes glass don't ask me why) thing inside with two nipples that puts pressure on the underside. Its probably that, that's what mine was. for now i just took the covers off and i push the actualy pad...whatever i'll get new ones at BMR when i go next week for a used Nose piece

#4 ·
If the car has lost power for any reason flat battery etc then you have to initialise one touch window this is easy:
1. Fully open both windows
2. Hold both bottoms in the close position until both window are close but don’t realise the buttons for another 20secs
3. Repeat this in the down position and again all the down and another 20secs

Do this first and if they still don’t work start look at switchs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.