BMW Werkz banner

Auto To Manual

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Doogle325 
#1 ·
:wrench Ok here is the question im buying a 325is from a buddy i work with and its a great deal just that it has an automatic transmission and i want to through in a manual transmission. So, I need to know what exactly I would need to do such a swap and if it can be done with out to much trouble and would I need a new center council to accomidate the shifter?? Not sure if it would be to easy let alone cheap. :wrench

If you have any sites that would show me through it and what I would need and how much they would be appreciated.

#2 ·
how much of a deal is it that you need to spend the extra thousands to do a tranny swap? lots is involved when doing this , the tranny of course, the internal parts that consist of the tranny like the clutch etc, the shifter has to be changed, and of course you need to add a 3rd peddle. a friend is getting this conversion done and its been 3 weeks and counting.

#3 ·
hey ....Ive just completed the swap and it really wasnt too much at all. and welll wort h it considering the gear ratio that is in the auto. I got a tranny out of a 5 series...GM i think.....and all the other parts came from a 3 series stick.....all you need is the 3rd pedal.....the slave the master the shift mechanism, I had to change the flange to accomidate the new 3 series drive shaft. youll probably spend around 1500 for all the parts. But well worth it. Just dont Mis-shift as I did or youll be in the same boat as me. .....youll bend alot of valves. But then again.............youll get to port and mill the head to squeese more power out of it and make it alittle more Juice friendly..........psst psst....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.