BMW Werkz banner

Auto To Manual

3K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  newbimmerdriver 
#1 ·
I am just wondering, how much would it cost me and what all would I need to change my car from an automatic to a manual? My car has 200,000 miles on it, would it be worth it or no? Also I am sick and tired of all of my friends talking shit about my bimmer, there all like it is old and slow and your motor is about to blow. I don't know what to do about this. When I get my license I am going to take them all down to the local drag strip and race them, or take them on the high way and blow there doors off. Please someone help me with this transmission question. Also all this negative talk around me from my friends makes me not want to keep putting money into my car. Should I keep putting money into my car with it at 200,000 miles on it or sell it? All of my buddy's want me to cell my car and get some kind of civic, like a hatch or something. I don't know what to do. My dad has just handed me this car and I have already done quite a bit to it with the whole sterio system and intake and tails, I would hate to stop here. Please what is everyones thoughts on all of this. I love my car and I don't think there is anything wrong with it at all and there is nothing wrong with it mechanically. Only thing I can think of is to race them. Anyone please what are your thoughts...?

#4 ·
Originally posted by newbimmerdriver+Feb 14 2005, 08:25 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(newbimmerdriver @ Feb 14 2005, 08:25 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-SHAHAB323IS@Feb 14 2005, 08:21 PM
around 4k

i don't think it would be worth it find another one with a manual
[snapback]292019[/snapback]​

Thanks what should I do about these guys talking all of this shit??
[snapback]292026[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

get a bat.......... and it can work wonders

edit: civic is for pussys that cant handle a euro lol jk civics are like for people that want to save gas and go to work and from point a to point b. a bmw is to do all that in style.

#5 ·
Originally posted by newbimmerdriver+Feb 14 2005, 08:25 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(newbimmerdriver @ Feb 14 2005, 08:25 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-SHAHAB323IS@Feb 14 2005, 08:21 PM
around 4k

i don't think it would be worth it find another one with a manual
[snapback]292019[/snapback]​

Thanks what should I do about these guys talking all of this shit??
[snapback]292026[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]
Just kill them after you do the manual swap, unless they have a newer a civic Si or they have a turbo'd civic or "NOS" that was setup by some one that actually knows about cars.

My best adivce is find some new friends. If they think their civics are faster then they do not know anything about cars.

#6 ·
honestly, if you hang around here long enough you will find many reasons why you should own a BMW over a civic. Nobody can build them like the Germans can, plain and simple.

as for your auto to manual conversion, don't do it, id sell the car, and buy another one that is manual.

#7 ·
Not worth it!!!! too much money and risk involved

#10 ·
civics that are highly modded not including F/I will NOT beat a stock 325 in any type of race. my buddies civic has every major mod done except forced induction and when my 325 engine was in, I smoked his ass bad from every scenario... the only time he was close was from 0-60mph and then it was bye bye

#11 ·
Originally posted by jrhaile@Feb 14 2005, 11:21 PM
civics that are highly modded not including F/I will NOT beat a stock 325 in any type of race. my buddies civic has every major mod done except forced induction and when my 325 engine was in, I smoked his ass bad from every scenario... the only time he was close was from 0-60mph and then it was bye bye
[snapback]292133[/snapback]​
yeah i love being on the freeway with them and hearing them go 5th to 3rd and i just push harder in 5th and WORK them! now with my chip i wonder what will happen? hahaha

David

#12 ·
Originally posted by bigred318+Feb 14 2005, 11:39 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigred318 @ Feb 14 2005, 11:39 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-jrhaile@Feb 14 2005, 11:21 PM
civics that are highly modded not including F/I will NOT beat a stock 325 in any type of race.  my buddies civic has every major mod done except forced induction and when my 325 engine was in, I smoked his ass bad from every scenario... the only time he was close was from 0-60mph and then it was bye bye
[snapback]292133[/snapback]​
yeah i love being on the freeway with them and hearing them go 5th to 3rd and i just push harder in 5th and WORK them! now with my chip i wonder what will happen? hahaha

David
[snapback]292148[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

Yeah thanks I prolly wont do the swap...i can't wait to race them...

#14 ·
Originally posted by ///M Power@Feb 15 2005, 12:22 PM
How old are you? Grow a thicker skin and realize your car is most likely faster. Use sequential shifting to its max. Thats what I do in my 5er and I can still take civics easy.
[snapback]292331[/snapback]​
I am 15 years old, lol, young yes I know. I am just not sure about these cars I am racing. The cars I am looking at are like a 95 civic with an integra ls motor, a 94 eclipse gs, 95 civic with intake and exhuast. I'm not really worried about them...all of there shit talking is just gay and I can't wait to get my license and school them. Thanks

#15 ·
Originally posted by newbimmerdriver+Feb 15 2005, 02:37 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(newbimmerdriver @ Feb 15 2005, 02:37 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-///M Power@Feb 15 2005, 12:22 PM
How old are you? Grow a thicker skin and realize your car is most likely faster. Use sequential shifting to its max. Thats what I do in my 5er and I can still take civics easy.
I am 15 years old, lol, young yes I know. I am just not sure about these cars I am racing. The cars I am looking at are like a 95 civic with an integra ls motor, a 94 eclipse gs, 95 civic with intake and exhuast. I'm not really worried about them...all of there shit talking is just gay and I can't wait to get my license and school them. Thanks
[snapback]292410[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

i'm surprised u haven't been flamed yet

#16 ·
Originally posted by SHAHAB323IS+Feb 15 2005, 02:39 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SHAHAB323IS @ Feb 15 2005, 02:39 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by newbimmerdriver@Feb 15 2005, 02:37 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-///M Power
@Feb 15 2005, 12:22 PM

[snapback]292410[/snapback]​
i'm surprised u haven't been flamed yet
[snapback]292411[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]
That really isn't necessary. Not everybody that is 15 deserves flaming.... :devil

Just you SHAHAB

:lmao2

:joking:

#17 ·
Without enduring the wrath of all these anti-auto guys (please don't flame me), remember that it would be much funnier if you just threw some money at that ride, keeping it automatic, and still smoked all those ricer losers. There are plenty of mods available for the 2.5 L six. And if you just save up some money and not spend it on enhancements that don't make a huge difference in performance (IE: Rims, body kit, stereo) but on mechanical improvements to the vehicle (Suspension, chip, forced induction maybe?), you can spank those morons and then laugh harder because your car is auto. There are tons of web sites and magazines to check out if you are interested. Try picking up Eurotuner and European Car magazine, plus Bimmer. And if you do stay with the BMW, join the BMW Car Club of America. Lot's of good info there, and they organize track days. That would be a much better place to drive fast, plus they can teach you A LOT about driving a high performance vehicle safely, and still go REALLY FAST! Please don't take the racing to the streets. If I ever get a chance to beat the crap out of street racers, I will. You put yourself, and more importantly, other people at risk when you drive at ridiculous speeds on public roads. If you want any advice on places to look for parts or tech stuff, send me a PM, or ask any one of these fine people on the Forum.
-Tim

PS: I just bought my first standard car last week. It's not a BMW. It's a 2003 VW Jetta TDI. Now I have a 95 318i with a blown head gasket, a 95 M3 with front-end damage, and the VW. Life is great!

#18 ·
i think your buddy doesn't know how to take advantage of his civic.

in my AUTO 325 (chipped) i can't take my buddies civic hb. it's got a b18b, non-forced induction, no nos, but heavily modded motor. couldn't take him from any scenario. while being a manual, might've changed things, being an auto i lost, and i don't like losing. i did however get up to speed quicker than he, but not from 0-60 either. 60-100 i got him by half a length, but he held steady and eventually passed.

if you're talking manual, you may be right, highly modded civics cannot beat a stock 325, but as an auto, i've personally been on the recieving end...

#20 ·
Originally posted by BMWspeedracer@Feb 16 2005, 10:20 AM
when u race with an auto, do u guys manually shift, or have the car shift for you? I seem to get better times when I shift it myself.
just a thought
[snapback]292896[/snapback]​

Thanks for all of the great information and opionons, I appreciate all of it so much. I love these forums. I will def. keep my car automatic and just modify it to what I can with what i can purchase right now. Thank you, also I mostly drive my car in the steptronic mode, if you were wondering. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.