"ASC" "ABS" & "Exclamation Mark Gear" lights came on last night - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 01:53 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
97auto318i is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
"ASC" "ABS" & "Exclamation Mark Gear" lights came on last night

So last night I'm driving on a 50mph zone about to join a 60mph zone. As i accelerated a little harder than usual, the automatic transmission downshifted to the necessary gear to respond accordingly to the amount of gas I gave it. When it did that, it felt almost like the tranny slipped into whatever gear that may have been. The slip was very very short, but long enough to feel it happen.
ANYWAY... as soon as that happened, the foglights flickered ultra bright and then back to normal, and then again ultra bright and then back to normal, and then all lights died...all at the same, headlights, foglights, dash lights and tail lights all died. The hazard lights and the turn signals worked still, but i had nothing left to illuminate the road with.
Obviously, my dash went dark as well, with the exception of the 3 lights mentioned in the title for this thread.

The high beam dash light still lights up, but no light comes out from the head lights. So i pulled over and shut the headlight switch on and off...nothing. After a few minutes, i tried again and my dash lights and ambers and tails came back to work.....but yet, no head lights (hi or low) nor the foglights worked. At this point I drove to the next exit with the hazards on.
Everything else seems to work just fine except for the mentioned problems.

Once of the HWY i checked the light fuses, alll are fine. I couldnt check the relay cuz I had no clue which of them were the ones for the lights, but I still find it odd all of what happened as I had assume all this things that happened were in systems that are unrelated.
I did a little bit of reading in the forums and realized that the ASC and ABS systems are interlinked.... so somehow there must be something that explains what happened to my car last night.

The only electrical thing that is new in the car is the alternator. Brand new (not rebuilt) from BMW. Had the alternator installed yesterday as the previous one was the original one and since i'm nearly 190K, I had it changed with the water pump, idler pulley, tensioner and pulley, and the belts. The only electrical part changed though, was the alternator... oh, and the battery.

FYI, no fuses blown, head lights and fogs remain dead.... but once I shut off the car the 3 warning light disappeared next time i turned it on. Tranny seems to shift just fine now and the battery is getting charged with no issues. And yes, battery light comes on when I open the ignition switch, so the bulb works.

did I leave anything out that might be helpful??? I hope not.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I dont wanna have to bring the car back to BMW to get this sorted out with. Next thing I'm going to check is the relay for the lights. But even if I fix that, can someone clue me in as in how all this things could be connected... cuz I dont see how this happened.

The only thing I can think off is that when I accelerated rather hard, a power surge happened and over loaded the circuits, which would explain why my light went so bright. The ground almost looked as blue as if I had HIDs on my foglights (cuz it was up close to the car). I do not have HIDs. Car is 100% original. Not even the rims I've changed on it.

Thank you and sorry for going on and on and on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 08:25 PM
4DoorWhore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
Start by having your battery tested at an auto parts store. Make sure the voltage is okay. Then check all your wiring to make sure theirs no visible short. Check all your post and ground connections to make sure their tight.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
#3 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 09:58 PM
n00b

97auto318i is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Alright, so checked the alternator, battery, all the fuses, relays, and grounds. They are all working well and in good condition.
Checked the battery terminals and it's connection to the body. All is good there as well.
No idea what produced that power surged that zapped all the 9006s and 9005s.
BTW, the foglight bulbs didn't suffer any damage, i guess they run on the same circuit as the highbeam and when it zapped the high beam it killed the foglights by opening the circuit or something.

Anyway
So we took the car for a little test drive after the whole testing and stuff, new bulbs went in there and all seemed to work well.
With in 2 blocks, the transmission warning light (exclamation mark in middle of a gear) and the engine light came on as I was accelerating in a harsh manner to try and see if I could make the car repeat the events of last night.
Also, right before that happened, as the car was reaching 5000rpm, the battery light went on as well.
The code came up to be P1750.
Description: Secondary Pressure Solenoid Circuit Range/Performance
Probable Causes:
1.Sensor or solenoid faulty
2.Connector terminal contact is damaged or corroded
3.Wire harness - Check harness for correct voltage, open, short to ground or short to voltage
4.Update control unit software - Check for the latest control unit update
5.Powertrain or Engine Control Module faulty

The car has never had mechanical problems or faulty transmission episodes, and with that crazy power surge the car suffered (which i still have no explaination for), I am defintively inclining to there been an hidden electrical problem.

I think now it's time to see what else you guys think, and also maybe get an electrician to work on this.

Any suggestions will be welcome guys.

Thank you.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 01:39 AM
n00b

ErikaMeneses is on a distinguished road
Honda dealer in Philippines. Honda dealers in Manila, Honda garages in Philippines. Buy a new Honda, Buy a used Honda, Sell a used Honda, Hire Honda in Manila, Philippines. Honda sales in Philippines, Second hand Honda for sale in Manila, Honda pre-owned, Affordable Hondas Philippines. Honda Philippines - Honda in Manila - Buy Used cars, Bikes ATV's & Scooters, New cars, used Honda cars for sale in Philippines
#5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 08:39 PM
n00b

lkmoney is on a distinguished road
did you figure out what is going on with your car? i have a 2000 528i that is doing som of the same things....i havent had the power surge per say but i have had my radio and dash lights go out for no reason...then they started working again..been several months between episodes of that and now my transmission control light comes on..it doesnt if i dont push the car over 50, all is well until i need more gas when i give the push the light comes on and then it shifts hard coming to a stop and noticable accelerating again..my hubby has been unemployed and money is tight
#6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 09:32 PM
n00b

OICU812 is on a distinguished road
If it was me I would unplug and clean the different wire clips and harnesses that go to the transmission including the one under the gas pedal. Then the solenoid's, any that are extenal.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 11:46 PM
4DoorWhore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmoney View Post
did you figure out what is going on with your car? i have a 2000 528i that is doing som of the same things....i havent had the power surge per say but i have had my radio and dash lights go out for no reason...then they started working again..been several months between episodes of that and now my transmission control light comes on..it doesnt if i dont push the car over 50, all is well until i need more gas when i give the push the light comes on and then it shifts hard coming to a stop and noticable accelerating again..my hubby has been unemployed and money is tight
Get your alternator tested, and have your OBD system scanned for trouble codes. This will give you an idea of what may be wrong.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)