Anyone Ever Replace Their Window's Motor? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 07:27 PM
Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
The motor for my driver's side window had been acting up since I got the car a few years ago (it wouldn't roll up all the way by itself). It finally bit the dust yesterday, so I took it into a mechanic my family's been using for years. They've always been very fair, with no shady stuff... but I'm curious about this one... I thought the cost more than 180 bucks when he quoted me the price for me to okay it. But, labor took up almost half of it! (150)

How long does it take to replace the thing? Almost three hours? Even a guess, anyone? They never charged this much for labor... used
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 07:34 PM
n00b

bmwfanatice36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by BeachBunny@Jun 2 2005, 05:27 PM
The motor for my driver's side window had been acting up since I got the car a few years ago (it wouldn't roll up all the way by itself). It finally bit the dust yesterday, so I took it into a mechanic my family's been using for years. They've always been very fair, with no shady stuff... but I'm curious about this one... I thought the cost more than 180 bucks when he quoted me the price for me to okay it. But, labor took up almost half of it! (150)

How long does it take to replace the thing? Almost three hours? Even a guess, anyone? They never charged this much for labor... used
[snapback]349643[/snapback]
a good 4 hours maybe more, and if he replaced it, thats very fair, if he just fixed it, than its a lil high. but if your getting a new window regulator + labor... thats REALLY REALYL good price..
ive had both driver n passengr sides fixed, not replaced, and it cost be about 110 at a family mechanic, but to replace that, itll cost quite a bit!
#3 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 07:53 PM
Gear Member

BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by bmwfanatice36+Jun 2 2005, 04:34 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bmwfanatice36 @ Jun 2 2005, 04:34 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-BeachBunny@Jun 2 2005, 05:27 PM

How long does it take to replace the thing? Almost three hours? Even a guess, anyone? They never charged this much for labor...* used
[snapback]349643[/snapback]
a good 4 hours maybe more, and if he replaced it, thats very fair, if he just fixed it, than its a lil high. but if your getting a new window regulator + labor... thats REALLY REALYL good price..
ive had both driver n passengr sides fixed, not replaced, and it cost be about 110 at a family mechanic, but to replace that, itll cost quite a bit!
[snapback]349645[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

He replaced it. That's a huge relief! Thanks!!!!
#4 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 08:01 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

FruityOne is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to FruityOne
2 things wrong i see here....one he charged you 150 for labor meaning hte part was 30 bucks...dealer sells them for 86 bucks even dealer cost is like around 50 bucks. so you probably have a made in china window regulator in there and im betting its going to take a dump in a few months.

and i know this because im a wholesaler of parts.

93 325is - SOLD (white car in sig)
92 325i - 220rwhp/205rwtq (RIP)
02 GSXR 600 - 107rwhp/48rwtq
95 M3 - 220rwhp/205rwtq
President & Founder OF S50 Swap Club

THC the three most powerful letters in my veins...
#5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 09:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Ljk619 is an unknown quantity at this point
150 for labor is a bit steep. I'm a mechanic so I replaced mine myself and the labor that needs to be done to get the old one out and get a new one in is a bit time consuming and takes a little patience because you have to drill rivets out and such, basically rip the whole door apart but 150 is still a lot, and it only took me about an hour. Part was about 50 for a used one.

///M The most powerful letter in the alphabet
#6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 09:07 PM
Neutral Member

maxslomoff is an unknown quantity at this point
Ljk619,
can you give me any advice on this replacement procedure? i need to replace my driver's window regulator (regulator and motor are the same thing right?) my window won't go down any more.

i've taken off the door panel and am familiar with the mechanism in there. you say you have to drill out rivets? how do you fix the motor back in , do you need a rivet gun?

thanks a lot,
max
#7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 09:34 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
a few more things, to do it yourslef you need to do drilling, its tough if you have no idea what your doing, because more widow motors are fixed in by rivets, and should be reattached with rivets... its more economical to let someone else whos a trainned and certified tech to do this, its just too much of a pain, ive done a few e36 widow motors and they took me a while, it should only take a true mechanic 1.25-1.75 hours tops.

#8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 12:12 AM
Neutral Member

maxslomoff is an unknown quantity at this point
furious,
i'm poor as dirt and pretty handy, so i'm going to do this on my own.
i got a hold of a rivet gun for the installation.

can you tell me about any pitfalls you encountered while doing this? I have an e36 too. anything i should look out for or be carefull of?

thanks,
max
#9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 03:59 AM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
well , damn i wish i could remember step by step because i would do a write up, but if your pretty handy most of it should come apparant as you go along, basically you need to pop the doorskin, prop the window up so that it doesnt fall and break, dont take it out, thats just added time and aggravation, then get going on removal of the motor... thats all i can really say because i dont wanna post information that im not totally sure of or clear of.

#10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 07:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Ljk619 is an unknown quantity at this point
(I changed the motor a long time ago so some of the details are a bit foggy)

Yes you need a rivet gun and a drill to be able to take the old rivets out. With the rivets out the motor bracket which is a pretty big strange shaped piece of metal comes out...detach the motor and put the new/used one in...rivet it back in... Wow! ALL the details are gone...sorry about that, if you can take a picture of your door with the door panel off it might all come back.

As far as tips, there's one problem with that thing. It's kind of hard to explain but once it happens to you you'll understand. Basically something along these lines. When you put the motor back in make sure the window is closed all the way, if it's open slightly the motor thinks that the amount it is closed at the time is the fully closed position or something crazy like that, so after you put everything together it'll properly function up to that position and then after that it'll act weird again. Like I said it's hard to explain, but let me tell you I had to drill and rivet the entire thing out about 3 times because it was doing this weird action...that sucked big nuts...

Anyways sorry can't be of much help now, goodluck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)