Any info on how to install a OBC on a 318ti? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 10:38 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stones is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Talking Any info on how to install a OBC on a 318ti?

Hi, I'm new to this site...I just bought a 1997 318ti active...I love it. It has cruise control but did not come with the on-board computer...
It just has the digital clock.
I friend of mine gave me what appears to be the on-board computer component...the one that would fit into the same socket as the one the digital clock is now sitting....
Long story short, is it possible to install an OBC into this 318ti, again it did not come with one...and is it as easy as just swapping out the clock and plugging in this OBC in it's place or are there other parts involved? Any info at all would really help...Thanks, Glenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 03:37 PM
3rd Gear Member

tomctx is an unknown quantity at this point
I believe there are three different OBC's. A seven, and eleven, and an eighteen button one. Also I believe each has it's own wiring, especially the big one. So the short answer, I'm not sure. Check to see if there is any extra wiring in the dash outlet when you pull the clock.

1995 325I, window tint, K&N, debaffled airbox, BMW #104 wheels, Nighthawk low beams, smoked side markers, smoked corners, smoked taillights, M3 stlye heated mirrors, various interior bits, Bosal cat-back.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 09:00 PM
3rd Gear Member

kyle_baker is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to kyle_baker Send a message via MSN to kyle_baker Send a message via Yahoo to kyle_baker Send a message via Skype™ to kyle_baker
the OBC should look similar to what i labeled in the pic below (plus or minus a few buttons)...

..if it looks very similar to this then yes it is the OBC. there is a guide at pelicanparts.com that helps with the OBC installations, but it shows you how to swap from an 11-Button OBC to a 18-Button OBC. maybe it will be somewhat helpful tho...

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...BD_Convert.htm

good luck!
#4 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 08:07 AM
n00b

Stones is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
More regarding the OBC

Hi, thanks very much for writing back. The OBC that I have is only a 2 button one...and it's much small than the one in the above pic...the radio takes up the left side and the OBC takes the right...
I tried adding an attachment, hopefully it'll work....
Thanks again for the help...it's fantastic to find a place where people know their stuff!
GlennAny info on how to install a OBC on a 318ti?-untitled-1-copy.jpg
#5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 02:19 PM
Neutral Member

318itx is on a distinguished road
i know if your looking to convert to an 18 button obc you can buy a wiring conversion piece on Ebay.
#6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 04:55 PM
3rd Gear Member

kyle_baker is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to kyle_baker Send a message via MSN to kyle_baker Send a message via Yahoo to kyle_baker Send a message via Skype™ to kyle_baker
is there a peice below your ac unit that looks more like the pic i attached above? i think the peice you have is just a clock/date unit.

here is what mine looks like all together...

radio and ac unit...

and the 18-button OBC unit and a cubby hole below...

...if the peice you got from a friend looks the same as the peice by your radio then i would image it would just plug right up the same as the other. but i don't think they made a 2-button OBC. If you don't have a unit with either ??? 7, 11, or 18 buttons i think, then you may not have an OBC. hope the pics help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)