any help appreciated - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 07:21 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Eaze E is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation any help appreciated

I recently bought a 93 325is it has only 139k miles on it and appears to be in good shape. After driving it some i realized that it was almost as if the car was hitting the "red line" thru each gear around 2300 rpm(the car is an automatic) as if the gas was being cut off or something, it sputters and jerks a little and wont pass 2500 rpm, while its doing this the red check engine light blinks. Recently the transmission module light has come a few times but when i cut the car off and back on it goes away. (This has only happened less than a handful of times) ive had the car only a week or so and do not know previous owners or where to even start. So i ordered a replacement ignition coil and swapped it between each coil to see if one was bad but no matter the result stayed the same, not surpassing 2300 rpm. I then checked the spark plugs which happen to look good to me but i cleaned them regardless. I thought maybe the o2 sensor or something could be causing this. Any help or comments will be greatly appreciated. Also it was a loose brake light or marker light or something because all the lights work(brake, reverse, running, and turn) but the cpu inside shows brake light circuit failure and tailight failure also the orange check light comes on. Any help in this matter also will help thanks, E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 02:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Frozen 318i is on a distinguished road
Turn on your ignition but do not start the car press gas pedal five times in a quick steady motion...the orange check engine light will blink a sequence when the sequence is done the check engine light will hang there for ten secs, then repeat the sequence. then search online for BMW ODB1 Motronic CEL codes. find your corresponding code and start there. but i think it could be a couple of things like fuel pressure regulator even a bad Air-Flow-Meter...so check your codes if you are going to fix it yourself. I also thing you should check your tranny for fluid and make sure you problem isn't the tranny.
#3 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 08:43 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
i appreciate the tips. i checked the tranny fluid, it was a little low so i topped it off. when i hit the gas pedal 5 times the light does as you say but, it blinks once for a few secs then a quick blink and keeps repeating this same pattern nothing different. the orange transmission light came on again it appears to come on as i come to quick stop and the tran begins the downshift. the orange check lights comes on sometimes and it stays on, it seems to do so when the brakes are hit sometimes or hit a bump. i believe thats just a loose connection or so because all the lights work. im concerned more about the engine or trans and as to why the car will not pass 2300 rpm in each gear. somebody told me it may be in safe mode, but somebody else told me that it if that was true it wouldnt shift out of 3rd gear. i cant get engine light to blink like you said, but im gonna try again tomorrow when i get off work. is it safe to drive the car in this condition, i was told it was, but that gas prolly wouldnt be the best. if there is anthing else that i may try before i take it in to have it looked out i would appreciate any information at all. thanks, E
#4 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Captain... Savvy ?

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Jack Dabsy will become famous soon enough
Garage
If the engine feels like it is "Topping" out at 2300-2500rpm, it is possible that the cam-sensor/Throttle-body/MAF are dirty !!

Eso es todo!
Please press the "REP" button if you are happy with your response/answer...

Please JOIN, or just have a look... Its Totally FREE...
BMW Part Market

BMW Online Manuals (TIS)

New Member ?
#5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 10:13 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
That is something i didnt take a look at, gonna try to hopefully get time today to look at those...now i've been noticing when i start to slow down and the car downshifts sometimes the tcm light is coming on, its only when it slows down and downshifts this occurs, and when i cut the car off and back on it doesnt pop up or stay on...dirty module perhaps or something more severe getting ready to happen?
#6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 10:37 AM
Captain... Savvy ?

Garage
Have a good look b4 she goes to a "Stealer" mate...

Eso es todo!

BMW Part Market

BMW Online Manuals (TIS)

New Member ?
#7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 10:41 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Yes i hope parts are just dirty and its nothing major as i do not have a lot $ now(expecting twins in january) what you mean by stealer?
#8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 11:22 AM
Captain... Savvy ?

Garage
Good luck matey... Hoping its just a clean you need eh?

Eso es todo!

BMW Part Market

BMW Online Manuals (TIS)

New Member ?
#9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 11:29 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I think and hope so, only because it doesnt do it all the time(well the tcm light anyways) the fact it wont pass 2300rpm may be something more but i am hoping for the best...when i do the foot pedal test all i get is check engine light on for 2 sec then goes off 3sec later it flashes real quick then goes off 3secs it comes back and stays on for 2sec then goes off and keeps repeating this pattern so idk how to tell what codes are actually going off....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)