Any Experts Help With Mileage Issue (long) - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 03:02 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
adamsbomb is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Okay, the carfax on my car 94 M-tech shows 22k miles, but the Odometer shows 147k. It also shows after the car was registered the first time, it was not reregistered until 1999. I just spoke to BMW NA, they informed me that the first record of any warranty repair (the only kind they track) shows the car came in on Sept. 10 of 1998 for a leaking thermostat housing. At that time it only had 17k miles on it. But on Dec 3 of 98 it came back in and showed 59k miles. As you can imagine, that is a lot of driving (basically from here in Phx to New York and back roughly 9 times in three months lol). BMW seems to think (for obviouse reasons) that something went wrong in the odometer or computer showing this mileage jump. My question is, if somebody changed the computer or Odometer is there anyway to figure this out. Inside and out the car looks like a 25k car, there is no wear on the seats, armrest,pedals nothing,there isn't even any loose stiching in the car. it looks new lol. The exterior is about the same, has age but not really wear, minimum rock chips on the front, no scratches, the rims again show age, but there is no curb rash or anymarks on them. It has all manuals that look brand new, the radio buttons didn't even show any wear like I have seen in the other high mileage cars. Oh yeah, the car was a one owner until I got it.

1. if somebody changed the computer or Odometer is there anyway to figure this out?
2. Can they hook up a diagnostic on the car and pull the mileage out of the computer? Can they tell if it is the original computer and/or odometer?
3. Can anybody shed some light on figuring this out or have any suggestions to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 03:37 PM
2nd Gear Member

mmclaren is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine swap??? when you put in a used engine with less k's doesnt change the odo
#3 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 05:30 PM
n00b

adamsbomb is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
No lol, original engine, like I said, BMW North America confirmed 17k miles in 1998. The Arizona MVD says 22856 on 7-7-04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)