Any Disadvantages Of Running Staggered Setup? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2004, 12:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Autotechnica is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Autotechnica Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
I'm running 225/45/17's all around right now on a ACS Type I 17x8 rim ET35. I want to run 235/40/17 rear and 225/45/17 front. I know this obviously increases a bit of understeer, but the question is, how much? Will it be enough to notice a difference? What will high speed statability be like? Any negative side affects?

I actually want a bit more understeer as my rear end feels a bit too twitchy. I want the rear end more firmly planted for track driving.

Any help greatly appreciated. I'm using Dunlop SP's.
<a href='http://www.automobile-technik.com' target='_blank'>- PARTS FOR SALE</a>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
&lt;img src=&quot;http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/atta...tc=1&quot;&gt;
Autotechnica is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2004, 02:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
JAX
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
JAX is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to JAX
Had something like this on my E30.
Could not feel any real difference but the car looks better.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by JAX@Nov 19 2004, 02:03 PM
Had something like this on my E30.
Could not feel any real difference but the car looks better.
[snapback]233922[/snapback]
I guess it would be hard to tell the difference without going on a track, but I'm very picky when it comes to these things. I know how my car handles too well so any change in handling I would notice. What tire sizes were you using?

thanks,

Bry
<a href='http://www.automobile-technik.com' target='_blank'>- PARTS FOR SALE</a>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 11-19-2004, 02:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Power Shifting

Car:
Photos:
Cruzin 323is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Cruzin 323is
if u go from a 225 to a 235.. its gunna be little if no difference.. if u went from 215 to a 255 with an 8 inch rim, they u feel a big difference..

no point of doing that unless your gunna get atleast 2 sizes difference...

let alone, u can't rotate your tires... anyways, do as u wish.. i just thought i would throw my 2 cents in!

stuff for sale on my e36.. CHeck it out!
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/aft...e36-49128.html
Cruzin 323is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
JAX
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
JAX is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to JAX
was using EXACTLY what you want to use : 235/40/17 rear and 225/45/17 front , but the rear were ET13
Old 11-19-2004, 02:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
wulley1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree, probably not worth it unless you are going to go with a bigger difference in tire size. 215 front and 255 in back looks sic!
wulley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 03:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Threadkiller

Car:
Photos:
bitcore will become famous soon enoughbitcore will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to bitcore Send a message via AIM to bitcore Send a message via MSN to bitcore
the CSL is staggared.. like hardcore if I remember correctly
http://zoouz.free.fr/Wheels/style/style_127.htm

I'd also like to point out that I do not know why I'm posting.
note: I'd also like to point out that I'm dead wrong and they are only an inch wider in the back.

bitcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 05:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Been here a while.

Car: Blah
Photos:
97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
I use 235s in the front and 265s in the rear... havnt noticed anything yet.. and I've been doing that for three years... track and off track..

Les

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
97alpineM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 10:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
Kevin325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Kevin325i
Why not go 235 all around so you can still rotate them. Once you get the DASC you might be going through back tires faster than you want.

Do you have the rear sway set all the way to soft? What are your aligment specs maybe you could have them throw a little more/less camber on the rear to hook up better around the corner.

&quot;WAAAAAAARRRRRIORS, come out to plaaaaay.&quot;
Kevin325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 11:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
What's with you guys and rotating tires? The front and rear -ve camber differs by too much. I never rotate my front and rear tires nor are you even supposed to. I'm not doing this for looks, I want my rear end to be more firmly planted as I mentioned before I feel like the rear is a bit too twitchy.

M3's were pretty much designed to work with the staggered setup and I'm sure all that extra torque makes up for any noticeable understeer, if any at all.

BTW, tire prices for 225 and 235 only differ by $8. I need to replace my rears next summer so I figure I'd try it out. Just wondering if I'd get excessive understeer.

Thanks guys,

Bry
Old 11-20-2004, 12:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
Power Shifting

Car:
Photos:
Cruzin 323is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Cruzin 323is
u don't need bigger tires in the back if u want to have better tractions, there are things called, suspension mods.. which do exactly that..

stuff for sale on my e36.. CHeck it out!
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/aft...e36-49128.html
Cruzin 323is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 12:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
Kevin325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Kevin325i
Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica@Nov 20 2004, 12:16 AM
The front and rear -ve camber differs by too much. I never rotate my front and rear tires nor are you even supposed to.
[snapback]234170[/snapback]
That's assuming you've got a factory alignment... I don't know why other people are swapping the tires, but I swap front to back before each auto-x so I don't have to replace the rears before the fronts.

I'd consider my situation to be a little different then the average driver. Why so against the rotating? Maybe if you'd swapped the front to back a few times you wouldn't be replacing the back tires only. :nana

Cruzin- I refer you to Auto's 'mod list' in his sig

&quot;WAAAAAAARRRRRIORS, come out to plaaaaay.&quot;
Kevin325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 12:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
/Banned

Car:
Photos:
91notchback is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica@Nov 19 2004, 11:16 PM
What's with you guys and rotating tires? The front and rear -ve camber differs by too much. I never rotate my front and rear tires nor are you even supposed to. I'm not doing this for looks, I want my rear end to be more firmly planted as I mentioned before I feel like the rear is a bit too twitchy.

M3's were pretty much designed to work with the staggered setup and I'm sure all that extra torque makes up for any noticeable understeer, if any at all.

BTW, tire prices for 225 and 235 only differ by $8. I need to replace my rears next summer so I figure I'd try it out. Just wondering if I'd get excessive understeer.

Thanks guys,

Bry
[snapback]234170[/snapback]
i use to work at a tire shop and the camber alinement is not why you rotate tires its mainly cause if you dont rotate them the tire will chop( looks like waves on tire) causing road noise and premature wear and sometimes vibration. i would say to replace a suspension parts on the back with per. parts to get your added traction you want. but thats just me
91notchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 07:38 AM   #14 (permalink)
ex owner/admin

Car: turbo e36 325/s50 and e46 330xi
Photos:
Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
bry i run 235 all round and its fine. but i think staggered that little will be no real noticeable differeance. i guess the only thing you would notice is a bit of understeer.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
WOT in Reverse

Car:
Photos:
jllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
Hey Bry: I don't rotate either. Don't see any reason in it. On our cars the tire wear differs (front to back), so rotating "ain't" a great idea, your right.

As for staggering, with that little of difference, you won't notice anything, I promise. You also don't have to do anything as drastic as 215/265 either.

I haven't played around with tires on this car yet, but when I order new shoes in the coming weeks, I'm going with 235 up front and 255 out back. I just like a bigger contact patch back there, and a certain amount of predictable understeer is what I like. I'm certain I won't feel much (if any) difference from what I have now (235 all around), but this just seems like a good set up for me.

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)