Alternator not charging battey!? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 10:11 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
318ibmw94 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Alternator not charging battey!?

i recently bought a man alternator for my 318i 94, 4 cyl, and it killed 6 of my batteries this month, i thought it was the alternator, so i took it to an autozone and they tested ity and passed the test at 2 locations, so they are 100% is not the alternator causing this, they said it might be some kind of wiring connected to the alternator that is blocking from getting voltage to my battery, maybe the ground to the alternator? any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 06:09 AM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
Welcome to the Werkz.

If you start the car Autozone should be able to test if the alternator is supplying a charge to the battery or not.

Is the battery failing whilst you drive the car or overnight? If its overnight I'd suggest that something else is draining it like a boot light or some other gadget that is malfunctioning.

Riding in style
#3 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 10:13 AM
1st Gear Member

theluis is on a distinguished road
Well.. at autozone they do a quick test so if you have an alternator that has a bad regulator it could charge fine for the first five minutes then when things start getting hot it stops charging.. and about the wiring if no one else has messed with it than it is most likely fine but you might check that the starter has all the wires going to it because one of those is an alternator wire that then branches out from there to everywhere else
#4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 01:02 PM
n00b

318ibmw94 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
hhmmm

The alternator is not giving any charge to the battery, not even when you start it, so it cant be getting hot and stopped charging, because it doesn't even charge when you barely turn on the car. there no voltage being sent to the batt.

Yes the car is killing my battery over night, i check around 7pm if my car will turn on, so i turn it on and is all good, then i check again at midnight, and the batt is dead, so i guess theres might be 2 problems, something draining the batt, and something not letting get the bat charged.. hmm.. any ideas?
#5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 03:30 AM
n00b

AliceFeatherson is on a distinguished road
If you're battery is not charged perfectly then it must have problem inside the car generator, mostly the problem occured in the generator.... its rectifires are going to be burn or shout.
#6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 06:14 AM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
Take it to an Auto Electrician and ask them to check the alternators output. They'll be able to tell you immediately if there is an issue. I suspect that maybe the inbuilt regulator has a fault and is draining your battery. If you can easily disconnect the alternator + lead, test what drain is present with the alternator connected, disconnect the alternator and then test the battery drain again, if its dramatically different you have found your likely suspect. Were you having these issues prior to the new alternator being installed?

Riding in style
#7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 02:41 PM
n00b

Clinton_SPX is on a distinguished road
If you have a multi meter. Battery Drain Parasitic Draw Testing
#8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 03:24 PM
Captain... Savvy ?

Jack Dabsy will become famous soon enough
Garage
you have an electrical fault...

Eso es todo!
Please press the "REP" button if you are happy with your response/answer...

Please JOIN, or just have a look... Its Totally FREE...
BMW Part Market

BMW Online Manuals (TIS)

New Member ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)