alternator - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 08:42 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
shockercbh is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
alternator

I was driving my car down the highway the other day,all of a sudden I lost power to my instument panel car started sputtering then died.The battery appears dead.The battery is new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 01:08 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Thanks for sharing

#3 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 01:11 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
On a serious note: have both the battery and the alternator bench tested. Also have them test the current draw while the car is off. You may have a high-current short somewhere. Did it rain recently where you are, and was you car exposed to the rain?

Note: you didn't ask any questions in your post. Also, we didn't get much information, such as year and model of teh car, etc. More information helps us help you.

#4 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 05:32 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
altenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drz View Post
On a serious note: have both the battery and the alternator bench tested. Also have them test the current draw while the car is off. You may have a high-current short somewhere. Did it rain recently where you are, and was you car exposed to the rain?

Note: you didn't ask any questions in your post. Also, we didn't get much information, such as year and model of teh car, etc. More information helps us help you.
Thanks for getting back with me.My car is a 98 328i sedan.Before my instuments started going haywire I had to get a jumpstart.I will take the alternator off to have it tested.The battery is new.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 07:40 PM
drz
Administrator

Just be sure to have teh battery tested, even if it is new.

#6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 10:21 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
The alternator was bad,I think my ignition switch could be bad.The tumbler spins all the way around sometimes.
#7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 12:41 PM
n00b

rubby.simpson45 is on a distinguished road
Check weather your ignition switch was in good condition or not

Rubby.simpson45
BMW Corner Lights
#8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 05:20 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I finally got my starting problem figured out.The bonding strap was not making good contact.I took it off cleaned it wiyh a wire brush and it fired up.Thanks for the help!I was getting a partial ground until I would try to turn it over ,then I would lose it all together.
#9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockercbh View Post
I finally got my starting problem figured out.The bonding strap was not making good contact.I took it off cleaned it wiyh a wire brush and it fired up.Thanks for the help!I was getting a partial ground until I would try to turn it over ,then I would lose it all together.
Great news.......that is why the Bentley Service Manual said to check for wiring faults!

jb

#10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 02:09 PM
1st Gear Member

dudehog is on a distinguished road
hi dude, with regards to your tumbler, this happened to me. change it asap cos on mine i started went into town and couldn't switch it off, then realised if it stalled i wouldn't be able to start it again.
just for peace of mind i changed the whole ignition part. housing, tumbler, the bit the key goes in (which may be the same thing) all off it. didn't get my pants pulled down on price too much either. in total i think it came to £135 genuine parts.. fitted it myself in about 3 hours taking my time.
REMEMBER TO DISCONNECT THE BATTERY OFF ,DON'T WANT AN AIRBAG BLOWING UP IN YOUR FACE!!!!
the only thing to remember is the two little grub screws on there, which, on , mine, had what looked like a heavy wax so you couldn't find them.
i did have to go get my airbag light reset at bmw but if you're lucky they may do it for free as you've just spent over $200. only takes them 5 mins after all.
all the best, DUDEHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOG!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)