all locks broken! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 12:54 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
reframe is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
all locks broken!

Hi hope my post is in right place with correct etiquette.
I have 1997 e36 318i. Am using key number 3, as previous owners have lost all other keys. First drivers door lock stoped working. (all locking and unlocking done manually now) then passengers door stopped, then boot lock failed. All locks lock simultaneously when i sit in car and push down drivers side door button so that seems to be ok. I suppose all the locks have failed mechanically one by one? Was using some lubricant for a time which helped open and lock doors however that doesnt work now. The key doesnt even turn any longer in the door lock. Is this fixable ie can i replace inner workings of the lock without needing new key?
p.s. am hoping to buy replacement fob for my after market spyball alarm system.. may or may not still be working.. poor auld bimmer really needs some tlc at this stage!! .
Any help much appreciated. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 01:32 PM
5th Gear Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by reframe View Post
Hi hope my post is in right place with correct etiquette.
I have 1997 e36 318i. Am using key number 3, as previous owners have lost all other keys. First drivers door lock stoped working. (all locking and unlocking done manually now) then passengers door stopped, then boot lock failed. All locks lock simultaneously when i sit in car and push down drivers side door button so that seems to be ok. I suppose all the locks have failed mechanically one by one? Was using some lubricant for a time which helped open and lock doors however that doesnt work now. The key doesnt even turn any longer in the door lock. Is this fixable ie can i replace inner workings of the lock without needing new key?
p.s. am hoping to buy replacement fob for my after market spyball alarm system.. may or may not still be working.. poor auld bimmer really needs some tlc at this stage!! .
Any help much appreciated. thanks
When you say "NOT WORK" on doorlocks, 2 things come into play. the mechanical part & the electrical part.

1) the mechanical part - the key the lock cylinder, and the tumblers. some WD40 sparingly sprayed into the keyhole should free these up. In cold weather though it may be harder to turn sometimes, but u will get there provided there is no mechanical damage. Not likely all 3 locks fail in succession though.

TIP: if the key you are using is not originally from BMW, that might be the reason you are having problems. Duplication of a copy... of a copy... of a copy. wil result in a wrongly cut key.

2) the electrical part - the wires, the module(with or without anti-theft options), and the actuators. I assume that is not the problem here.

TIP2: i recently posted a caveat regarding aftermarket fobs and alarms. Don't chance it. These aftermarket fobs are not compatible with BMW electrics and I have seen too many cases of the alarm circuit overriding the bimmer electrics resulting in no-start conditions. so Watch Out.

WELCOME TO THE WERKZ
#3 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 03:37 PM
n00b

reframe is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Cheers darkhorse, i'll check out that thread.
Yeah your not the first to suggest the key might be the problem, just that it worked for a few months fine. Might be worth getting a new dealer replacement. wanted to avoid the 140 pricetag though.. things are SUPER tight at the mo! plus might still have to replace locks anyway..anyone know if i can grab a part for the lock or is it a complete replacement.. i.e if i get parts from salvage can i use my key to open manually somehow at all?

bit of a pain it is..

Thanks again
#4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 10:57 PM
1st Gear Member

BrianXE36 is on a distinguished road
don't the E36 models have vacuum locks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybayonne View Post
I eat, sleep, & breathe BMW
#5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 12:29 AM
5th Gear Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianXE36 View Post
don't the E36 models have vacuum locks?
nope.

it's MBZ that uses the vacuum to control the doorlocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)