Alignment, ABS, other questions...? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2009, 12:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
mikey325ic is on a distinguished road
Question Alignment, ABS, other questions...?

My uncle had just recently given me a 94 325ic as a gift. I am kind of new to the BMW world so I thought I would give this a try with a few questions. (college student in need of some advice and help...)

My alignment is kind of off, I would like to know what the price range is for my alignment? I would like to get one done and don't want to do it if it costs too much as of now. (price ranges?)

The abs is also light up in the speedometer area, would I need to get that checked up and fixed as well? And again what is the price range?

Im sorry if I sound like a total noob, but I just want to know what I am getting myself into to maintain and enjoy this awesome car. (also want to know what fixes I can do by myself so I dont end up coughing up a lot of money!)

Thanks very much!
mikey325ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2009, 05:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Help from over the pond

Car: E38 1997 728i Individual
Photos:
marti5 is on a distinguished road
The ABS light may be on due to a sensor, diagnostics will tell you this, as for not getting the alignment done thats fine as long as you dont mind getting new tyres every few thousand miles!!, just ring around for a price...

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
marti5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Millions of them.

Car: e36 w/ a m42
Photos:
Torque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond repute
ABS light is probably a sensor; have someone take a look at that ... might be as simple as a sensor being disconnected.

As for the alignment, the only thing that can be adjusted on these cars is the front toe. That's it. Don't let someone sell you a "4 wheel alignment"; there is nothing they can do to the back ... if they offer a free alignment check, have them check it just to be sure it isn't way out of spec, but even if it is, you're gonna have to replace components to get it back. It can not be adjusted.

As far as where to go for it ... any shop can do it; it's not really brain surgery: probably around 50 bucks, or whatever the cheapest you can find is. Doesn't have to be a BMW specific shop as all they'll do is loosen the two nuts on the tie rod ends and tighten them back up once it's within spec.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
beaner10 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque View Post
ABS light is probably a sensor; have someone take a look at that ... might be as simple as a sensor being disconnected.

As for the alignment, the only thing that can be adjusted on these cars is the front toe. That's it. Don't let someone sell you a "4 wheel alignment"; there is nothing they can do to the back ... if they offer a free alignment check, have them check it just to be sure it isn't way out of spec, but even if it is, you're gonna have to replace components to get it back. It can not be adjusted.

As far as where to go for it ... any shop can do it; it's not really brain surgery: probably around 50 bucks, or whatever the cheapest you can find is. Doesn't have to be a BMW specific shop as all they'll do is loosen the two nuts on the tie rod ends and tighten them back up once it's within spec.
really? i am about to replace the rear trailing arm bushings on my 98 328i and have been told that after they have been replaced that a 4 wheel alignment is necessary. i have read it several places as well. is this not true?
beaner10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
mikey325ic is on a distinguished road
Thats why I find it confusing as well but we'll see what I come up with after a bit of qoutes and questions around town?
mikey325ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)