Airbag Warning Light - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-31-2004, 03:30 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
JamesP is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hello all,

My 94 model 318i has driver's airbag, and the airbag warning light remains on all the times after a medium force of breaking.

I tried restart the engine, checked the fuse... still couldn't figure out the problem. Could anyone offer some advice please, thank you all in advance.

Regards,

JamesP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-31-2004, 07:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Fadec40 is an unknown quantity at this point
The airbag light can illuminate for many reasons. If you had a airbag scan tool, you can find out exactly why the light came on. My light came on once, I got the code and found it was the passenger side front seat belt tensioner. I would invest in the scan tool. What it would cost you to buy one is worth it considering taking it to a dealer to have them scan it and possibly telling you anything.
#3 (permalink) Old 07-31-2004, 10:17 AM
Been here a while.

97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
I agree with buying a tool.... I think they are made by Peake Research if I'm not wrong... if I am.. someone say something.

GOOD LUCK

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
#4 (permalink) Old 07-31-2004, 12:04 PM
5th Gear Member

Live_the_Curves is an unknown quantity at this point
I had the same problem, and the cause was the passenger side seat-belt tensioner. Had to replace it.
#5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2004, 09:36 PM
Gear Member

BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute
I have a problem with my airbag light, too. I bought my '96 328is a year and a half ago, and the light was on then too. When I had the inspection done before I got the car, my mechanic set up a little (okay, uhm, it was kinda big acutally) thingy-a-jigger and turned it off. Since I wanted the car really bad and nothing else was wrong with the car, I got it anyway. Well, after a few months, the light came back on. The guy turned it off again, and said I should have it checked out... there was something wrong with the wiring or something when it deployed earlier on for some reason or another. (not a salvaged)

ghead But, it would probably take about $400 to fix the thing, cuz they'd have to check out what's wrong and THEN fix it! What should I do? Where should I go for one of those scanners? It'd be great to finally have that damned light off!!!!
#6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2004, 09:42 PM
1st Gear Member

PEAKE RESEARCH makes the airbag tool. It will read the code and reset.

The ASSENMACHER tool only resets the light. Get the PEAKE tool and you will know for yourself what the problem is!
#7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2004, 10:35 PM
1st Gear Member

john_18 is an unknown quantity at this point
my airbag light stays on ALL the time. How much does the reset tool cost. I was planning on waiting till i sold my car or possibly wrecked itand get insurance to fix it. if they are cheap im gettin one for sure. thanks

Alpine White 328 IS, Pioneer Head Unit, Jensen Band pass box, debaffled air box w/ K&N filter, supersprint exhaust. clear corners and side markers, More to come....
#8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2004, 10:40 PM
Gear Member

BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute
Is the ASSENMACHER tool probably what the mechanic used on mine?
John 18 - That mechanic reset mine for free, he just popped the hood, stuck something on the engine (there's like two sections attached with a hose or cable or something), and then adjusted something on the other part in his hands... at least that's how I remember it... it was a long time ago... But it came back on because there must be something wrong with my airbag?
Attached Images

#9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 01:07 AM
n00b

floydzeppelinfan is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the same problem, better take it to my dealer and make them do it.
#10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 09:02 AM
1st Gear Member

The reason I recommend an airbag scan/reset tool is to KNOW what the problem is and not just taking it to a dealer who can tell you anything. The airbag light can come on for a slew of reasons. My problem was a seat belt tensioner on the front passenger side. I 'cleaned the connector and haven't had the light come on in over a year. My theory in having the tool is not to get ripped off, that's all. But there are things you can fix yourself. like the belt tensioner. When things are fixed correctly, the airbag light, as in all warning lights will stay out unless there is a problem. If the light keeps coming on after a reset, there is a hard fault that must be corrected in order to extinguish the light. The airbag light is a common prob on these cars and should ALWAYS be looked at. But I figure the cost of the airbag tool and the engine code/oil/inspection reset tool have more than paid for themselves in just one or two possible visits to the dealer.

You would be surprised what value these tools and a repair manual have and you would be further surprised how easy some of the tasks are to do.
#11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 09:13 AM
1st Gear Member

The dealer mechanics may use a different type of scanner. One they can hook up to their professional scanning equipment. The PEAKE tool is perfect the everyday driver.
#12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 08:18 AM
n00b

JamesP is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Thanks to Fadec40 and you all.

Since the light never keeps on for the last 10 years, I hope the problem is from the belt tensioner on the front driver side. Can you please tell my where and how to CLEAN the connector? I notice a long black box on the side (tensioner??), does the connector like a cable & plug? A picture would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

JamesP
#13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 09:27 AM
1st Gear Member

The connector should be orange in color at the end of the harness.

WARNING: The automatic seat belt lock tensioners AND the mechanical spring tensioners are POWERFUL devices. Be careful and remove the connector (orange plug type.) I use a contact cleaner which dissipates fast and is safe on electrical components. A little spray is enough to clean any soot of the contacts. Radio SHACK and similar stores and auto parts stores should have the cleaner. I suggest since you dont know which one it is, do all the tensioners.

But remember that the airbag light can come on for many reasons. I believe the service life for the airbag itself is ten years which would require an inspection and possible replacement.
The tensioner is found at the end of the seat belt harness under the seat off the reel.
#14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 07:59 PM
Gear Member

Eeewwww!!

I don't think I want to know how much replacing an airbag would cost!!! Anyone live around San Diego who wants to let me borrow their scanner?

Maybe I'll have to check out cleaning that - I guess it's good that the seatbelts will set off that light if there's any problems... but geez, how many things ARE there that can set it off? Any wild guesses people? The airbag directly, seatbelts...?
#15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 10:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Too many to mention.crash sensors, firing circuits, resistance in the circuits. The system covers the seat belt system as well.

BTW, is that you in the picture?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)