Airbag Light - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 08:37 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rodrigo is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hi, I’m new in this site. I’m from Paraguay (South America).
I had just bought a 1993 BMW 325i. My problem is that the Airbag light is always on in the Steering wheel. I take it to the only BMW dealer in my country and they said that I have to change the Airbag Module. This module cost a lot here and I want to know if there is another way to reset the Airbag light or fix this module. Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 09:13 PM
3rd Gear Member

Bear is an unknown quantity at this point
Find an independent foreign car tech and have him/her scan and reset the airbag light. If lucky this will solve your problem, if not it could be a bad clockspring or even a bad air bag (I bouhgt a used airbag from Zionsville for $90.00), clocksprings run about $90 as well.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 10:35 PM
Neutral Member

Larry Horne is an unknown quantity at this point
I recently had the AB light come on. Took it to an independant shop and it was the seat belt retrator on the driver's side. Bad news according to the dealer was that the air bag system would not function unless all components were operative. The retractor actually pulls you into the seat during the air bag deployment. I had them replace the retrator. Not sure the "stealer" was telling me the truth but I would rather do the repair than risk the air bag not deploying during an accident.

I am not certain, but I would imagine you could spend $$ blindly replacing components in attempts to find the defective part plus you have to get the light reset.

Welcome to Bemmer ownership.

Lar

Larry
Suffolk, VA
1997 328i
2004 Lexus GX470
1989 Ford F250
#4 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 10:51 PM
1st Gear Member

bryan1970 is an unknown quantity at this point
ehh chances are if you do get the light turned off it will just come back on in a matter of time.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 05:26 AM
Gear Member

BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by bryan1970@Mar 12 2005, 08:51 PM
ehh chances are if you do get the light turned off it will just come back on in a matter of time.
[snapback]309905[/snapback]

Ya, they can turn it off... for anywhere from an hour to a couple of days. Do you know if your car's ever been in a fender bender or accident where the airbag went off? If so, someone coulda screwed up when they put the airbag back into the wheel.... It could be so many things... God, I had this problem, it's the worst. I hope it's nothing.
#6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 05:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Boxbrownie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Boxbrownie Send a message via MSN to Boxbrownie
Quite frankly Rodrigo with something like the airbag light it probably is better to bite the bullet and get the system checked by a stealer......sorry dealer

It could be just a faulty sensor or just dirty contacts, but whatever if you ever need your airbag, you really will want it to work! ghead or else!

Best regards David

If they do tell you you need a new module, ask them if after they fit the module the light still appears will they then repair the system for nothing?
#7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 09:01 AM
n00b

Rodrigo is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for your replies guys.
I didn't mention that the dealer doesn't have this module in their spare parts dept so is impossible to know if just changing the Airbag module will turn off the Airbag light . That's why I was asking if anyone have try another way to reset the airbag light at some time. If so, can you explain me step by step how to do it.
#8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 11:13 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

komodo is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd be careful with the SRS. If you cut corners and try to save a few bucks, it might have huge consequences in an accident. If anything related to my airbag happens, I'm going to pay the higher fee and go to the dealership so I know it's fixed right.

Just me though.
#9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 12:54 PM
5th Gear Member

Live_the_Curves is an unknown quantity at this point
I had the same problem and the sealership told me it was the seatbelt retractor, so they replaced it, now 2 years later the same fucking problem. I just don't give a fuck, let the light stay on.
#10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 09:19 PM
n00b

323ic is an unknown quantity at this point
my airbag light on my car is on and when its on the bags do not work..........believe me i hit a ditch going 50 about 5 hours ago. get the light checked out that f'n steering wheel hurts believe me. the only pics i have are on my phone though and i dont think u can transfer them to the comp.
#11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 02:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Boxbrownie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Boxbrownie Send a message via MSN to Boxbrownie
Quote:
Originally posted by 323ic@Mar 14 2005, 04:19 AM
my airbag light on my car is on and when its on the bags do not work..........believe me i hit a ditch going 50 about 5 hours ago. get the light checked out that f'n steering wheel hurts believe me. the only pics i have are on my phone though and i dont think u can transfer them to the comp.
[snapback]310663[/snapback]

Too right.....the air bag is there to stop the steering column from rearranging your sternum amongst your lungs! make sure its going to work!

best regards David
#12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 02:48 PM
n00b

DAVE1777 is an unknown quantity at this point
it must be way to reset the computer and light will be off, i am looking for that way too, so i think first of all you should try that, and if its ok the light will stay off if not it will be on again so you no that its something serious. wish you luck, p.s. theese days i am going to find out how to do this, i hope ill find out or if not we have bmw service center and ill go there and look how they do that, and ill write
#13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 07:52 PM
1st Gear Member

newbimmerdriver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to newbimmerdriver Send a message via Yahoo to newbimmerdriver
Quote:
Originally posted by DAVE1777@Apr 2 2005, 02:48 PM
it must be way to reset the computer and light will be off, i am looking for that way too, so i think first of all you should try that, and if its ok the light will stay off if not it will be on again so you no that its something serious. wish you luck, p.s. theese days i am going to find out how to do this, i hope ill find out or if not we have bmw service center and ill go there and look how they do that, and ill write
[snapback]323919[/snapback]
This is so funny, I also have a 93 325i. I just got into my car the other day, and i started driving and the SRS indication light for the airbag came on. I am like what the heck is that for. So I took it to this place by my house called JUST BMW and they are really good. They ran a diagnostic test, and they just flashed and reset it on the ECU. They told me it sometimes happens to go off, if you have an aftermarket sterio system, which I happen to have. So I would just take it some where and tell them your situation, not the dealership, and tell them to reset the ECU or what not. Happy Bimmering..............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)