After tail-light upgrade, left brake light is gone - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 09:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mostwired is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I have (finally) installed some nice clear tail lights. These are OEM BMW-made ones. After I've done installing them, I check all lights and see that all of them work (turn signals, reverse, etc), but the left brake light is not working.

I've swapped the right working one with housing for the left one, and it doesn't work either. All fuses are ok. Can't be a brake light switch - 'cause 2 other brake lights work. So I said - what the heck - and put my old tail lights back on - same thing - the left brake light is out!!! Any ideas? Maybe, when I was pulling the plug out, one of the wires broke under insulation? If so, what color would this wire be? (I have green, brown, brown-white, etc. coming into the tail light plug). Anybody has wiring diagrams for tail lights from ETK or something?

Another peculiar thing - the wiring layout is not exactly the same as my old factory lights. So when I turn my lights at night, the two bottom lights to the outer edge of the cluster are off. I probably can fix it by soldering some contacts on - but don't know if that'll cause a fire hazard used
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 09:51 AM
1st Gear Member

ramzizaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Ask a mechinc to check it out, try using a voltmeter too!!

My goals in life:

1. Get a 318is or 325is.
2. Engine swap it with a 3.0L + mods.
3. Make it look hella sick.
4. Smoke everyone else who goes to my school (Camaros and Chevelles suck)
#3 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 10:18 AM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
connection problem for sure, have you tried putting the bulb in and hitting the lens, sometimes youll get it to go on and off, if so then you have a defective tail.

#4 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 06:13 PM
1st Gear Member

mostwired is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Update on my break light problem - fixed it. Apparently, there are a few versions of the tail lights produced by BMW. Brought the car to a friend's shop, we have checked the lights. From the brake light switch, the wiring goes to the right tail light (blue-red wire on the bottom of the connector). The other blue-red wire just above this one leads to the left tail light. Guess what - the pin for it was missing on the headlight housing connector itself... I clipped the two wires together - and voila! All break lights work perfectly - couldn't have hoped for a better present for Thanksgiving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)