Adjustable camber and toe?? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 05:27 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BMWStrat is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Series E36
Model 325i
Body type saloon
Catalog model USA
Production date 1991 / 10
Engine M50
Transmission Automatic
Steering Left
Catalyzer YES

My car is in the shop getting fixed and they recently tried to do an alignment on the car, they told me that my Toe and camber in the rear was not good, and they also told me that niether is adjustable...they also told me my camber and toe in the front was not good either and not adjustable either. There telling me that the control arms in the rear must be bent or something to cause the misalignment, what I want to know is, can i adjust the camber and toe in the front and rear? or this guy doesnt know what he is doing...the previous owner of the vehicle dropped the car considerably, the car is very low, he changed the springs......somebody please help me!! Can I adjust my suspension- camber and toe front and rear? if not is there any way around it? buy and adjustable kit or something......please help... ...Thank You....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	107_0709.JPG
Views:	415
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	6996  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 06:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Mattitjah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Mattitjah
Whoa... Dude, what happened to your car?

I beleive that it all are adjustable(toe, camber, etc...). Never heard of a car where it is not. (Isn't it that they adjust when you get an alignment?)
#3 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 06:22 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
I crashed into it!! Long story.......but the guy said that there are no toe adjustments in the front nor in the rear, also in the rear he said there is no camber adjustments either.....im so freggin confused!!!! ghead
#4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator

dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to dutchbmw
That's not right what he said. In the front you only can adjust toe, but they can check the chamber, caster and K.P.I. just as well! If one of the last values are wrong, then there is something crooked (BTW, when lowering your car, some of that values could be different from manufacturer adjustments)

In the rear you can adjust toe and chamber! The adjustment range is not very wide, when looking to your pic, i think nothing can be done anymore......

Probably you need some new parts to fix the front wheel suspension, or in the worst case you'll should align the whole car..........

BMW '96 M3 (SOLD)
June 2005 Car Of The Month!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque
I was just dropped off here by aliens one day. They got bored with me.
#5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 07:26 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
No the front I fixed, I put in a new strut, the old one was bent like a pretzel! the wheels pretty straight, but yesterday we tried to align the whole car, and thats when we ran into the problems, the guy was old and pretty blind (couldnt read numbers of screen) I dont think he has much experience with BMW's because he told me he can only adjust the camber in the front....now im thinking to myself...BMW...German engineering at its best, and I can only adjust camber in front? used
#6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute
I have some information about that...... It really isn't true that chamber in the front can adjust. The toe can be adjust by shorten or lenghten the track axis (right word??). Let do this by a mechanic, who has the right tools!! I post a pic asap.....

BMW '96 M3 (SOLD)
Quote:
#7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Here's a pic of what i meant exactly. The two on the top are from the front, the 2 at the bottom from the rear.

For all clarity, this is what i know of it, so correct me when i'm wrong!!
The things that can be adjust are:
-front toe
-rear toe
-rear chamber

BTW, this is something what you can't DIY!! Normally a mechanic installs a laser-beamer on each wheel and then the computer says precisely if the values are OK (in according with BMW values)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front___rear.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	7018  

BMW '96 M3 (SOLD)
Quote:
#8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 06:37 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Awesome! Thank you so much!!!!
#9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 11:02 PM
Defector

El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
I believe our sponsor also carries camber correction kits for lowered cars....

<span style='color:gray'><span style='font-family:Courier'>1995 e36 3 Series RIP
1999 e46 3 Series BURN IN HELL
2000 MR-S Roadster= Current</span></span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)