Abs Warning Light - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 06:47 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jamesw is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hi guys,

Any chance you would have had the exprience that the ABS warning light keeps on, but with no ill to the brakes?

Could that be an indication of battery running flat soon? or other seasons?

Regards,

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 07:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Fadec40 is an unknown quantity at this point
When your ABS system has a malfunction, it doesn't affect NORMAL braking. There are many things that cause the ABS light to come on.

Believe me, when your battery is going dead, you'll know!
#3 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 10:27 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

DesmoBob is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by jamesw@Dec 3 2004, 02:47 AM
Hi guys,

Any chance you would have had the exprience that the ABS warning light keeps on, but with no ill to the brakes?

Could that be an indication of battery running flat soon? or other seasons?

Regards,

James
[snapback]242579[/snapback]
a few things you can check yourself:
- fuses
- relays
- wheel speed sensors & their respective connectors

if all those check out ok, you have to get the codes read because you have a much deeper problem.

on a related note:
http://www.bmw-forums.com/forum/inde...howtopic=25426

#4 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 04:13 PM
n00b

jamesw is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Thanks Fadec40 and DesmoBob.

I think the fuse and relay are ok, the light can be reset at each starting, but it comes back on after braking or sometime later. The reason I suspect the performance of battery is that in one instant, the electric gear control warning light was also lighted up (but surprisingly never seen the battery light).

Bob, can you tell me how to check the "wheel speed sensors & their respective connectors" please.

Regards,

James
#5 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 06:04 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

DesmoBob is an unknown quantity at this point
wheel speed sensors & connectors:

(same procedure for each wheel)

connector: remove wheel, you will see a wire coming through the wheel well down to the area behind the brake rotor. that wire goes through a coupling (connector) attached to the wheel well. check that the connector has not come loose or frayed.

sensor: unbolt the sensor (follow the wire) from the rear of the hub. the sensor is magnetic and over time it gets gunked up with dust & debris. shoot some compressed air or brakleen on it.

also (offhand i don't remember this procedure exactly), behind the disc rotor there is what resembles a toothed disc, something like a sprocket, that is where the speed sensor picks up its signal. make sure that hasn't gotten filed down by random debris getting caught between the "sprocket" and the sensor. if you need more detail than this, reply to this post, i'm writing this at work from memory, have to consult manuals at home.

#6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 07:33 PM
n00b

sebastian is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by DesmoBob@Dec 3 2004, 09:04 PM
wheel speed sensors & connectors:

(same procedure for each wheel)

connector: remove wheel, you will see a wire coming through the wheel well down to the area behind the brake rotor. that wire goes through a coupling (connector) attached to the wheel well. check that the connector has not come loose or frayed.

sensor: unbolt the sensor (follow the wire) from the rear of the hub. the sensor is magnetic and over time it gets gunked up with dust & debris. shoot some compressed air or brakleen on it.

also (offhand i don't remember this procedure exactly), behind the disc rotor there is what resembles a toothed disc, something like a sprocket, that is where the speed sensor picks up its signal. make sure that hasn't gotten filed down by random debris getting caught between the "sprocket" and the sensor. if you need more detail than this, reply to this post, i'm writing this at work from memory, have to consult manuals at home.
[snapback]243006[/snapback]
Hi, First of all i'd like to appologize about my english, but is not my native lenguage. I hope you understandme anyway.

I have the same problem. My ABS ligth comes on in the middle of the trip with no apparent reason. I take my car to a BMW dealer and get connected to de Diagnose computer, and it found no fault. I`ve tested the ABS while the ligth is on and it's not working

All that i've read makes me think that the problem may be in the wheel speed sensor. I found your expalnation gorgeous. Woud you please explain in more detail how can i test and eventually fix (if possible) the speed sensor? and how can i disconect the grey connectors (i try but i cant)?

Thanks in advance. Best regards for everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)