ABS Light On - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 09:14 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
G-Man is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
My '92 318i has been parked for roughly six months now, with only occasional drives (about once a month). Last week I went to move it and I noticed that the when I turned on the ignition, the ABS light did not go out. Usually when you first turn the key to the on position, virtually all the dash lights come on as the car performs the self tests. The ABS light does not go out.

My initial thought was that the relay might be bad. I popped the fuse box open and saw that there were two relays labeled ABS, one red and one gray. I took them out and tapped them a number of times but it still would not work. I then took the plastic covers off the relays but I could not detect any burnt contacts and everything appeared to be moving. I did not get out the voltmeter to bench check, I guess I will have to get around to that.

Later, I did a web search for information. Relays were a common culprit, as were the wheel sensors themselves. Does anyone know if the ABS light staying on from the get go (as opposed to coming on while driving) could be caused by dirty/faulty wheel sensors?

I also saw some discussion on ABS fault codes. Is there any way to get these codes for the common man or do I have to go to a dealer/s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 09:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fadec40 is an unknown quantity at this point
That ABS light covers a slew of goodies. Good be the relay, wheel sensors, module, etc. I suggest you have someone with know how take a look at it.

But the ABS having a fault does not affect REGULAR braking. The only immediate problem is having to look at that light while driving until you get it taken care of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)