AARG! E36 rattling/clanking that is PISSING ME OFF! PLEASE HELP! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 03:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iamcreepingdeath is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
AARG! E36 rattling/clanking that is PISSING ME OFF! PLEASE HELP!

OK there is a rattling/ clanking noise coming somewhere from my right rear suspension.

I have isolated it there because i ran over 2x4's on the driveway and it clanks only for the right rear wheel.

OK: i have brand new Bilstien Sport shocks, new shock mounts, H&R springs, the whole bit.

THIS IS WHAT I TRIED:
i took the wheel off, inspected the underside of the car up and down, could not find any worn bushing or anything. I even banged around with a sledge hammer trying to find something loose that was clunking. no luck.
Then i unbolted the shock and wiggled the suspension up and down. nothing. Then i took out the spring and wiggled the suspension some more. Still nothing. I even propped a long 2x4 on an overturned bucket and the other end under the A-arm and forcefully pushed the 2x4 up and down, using it as a lever to move the suspension in such a way as it would running over a bump. Still nothing but the normal sounds of the suspension, no clunking. I also yanked and wiggled on the detached shock, no clunking.

WHAT THE *!%# COULD IT BE????

thanks in advance for all of your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 04:28 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
OK there is a rattling/ clanking noise coming somewhere from my right rear suspension.

I have isolated it there because i ran over 2x4's on the driveway and it clanks only for the right rear wheel.

OK: i have brand new Bilstien Sport shocks, new shock mounts, H&R springs, the whole bit.

THIS IS WHAT I TRIED:
i took the wheel off, inspected the underside of the car up and down, could not find any worn bushing or anything. I even banged around with a sledge hammer trying to find something loose that was clunking. no luck.
Then i unbolted the shock and wiggled the suspension up and down. nothing. Then i took out the spring and wiggled the suspension some more. Still nothing. I even propped a long 2x4 on an overturned bucket and the other end under the A-arm and forcefully pushed the 2x4 up and down, using it as a lever to move the suspension in such a way as it would running over a bump. Still nothing but the normal sounds of the suspension, no clunking. I also yanked and wiggled on the detached shock, no clunking.

WHAT THE *!%# COULD IT BE????

thanks in advance for all of your help.
Hey! Buddy! I had the same thing about a year ago it ended up being, the rear trailing arm bushings, I actually went crazy looking for the noise, when I was laying on the ground & tried to pull myself up from the rear quarter panel, I heard the clank, so try pushing & pulling the car side to side, & I found it in this area......as illustrated in this pic.....& thanks to Dudesky this DIY helped me replace them.....
good luck' johnny,

p.s. I ended up using a drill & hammer to get them out, & rented for free @ advanced auto parts a tie rod & ball joint puller set which worked fine to pull the bushing in place.......
United Bimmer - BMW Enthusiast Community and Forums : Bimmer Technical Help

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	traila.jpg
Views:	4787
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	26714  

Last edited by johnnyBgood; 06-25-2008 at 04:37 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 04:42 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
you are a life saver!!!!

i sent you a pm.

Any easy way i can tell if this is really the problem?

#4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 04:57 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
you are a life saver!!!!

i sent you a pm.

Yes! I sent you a pm, Also do you here this noise over bumps & during acceleration?
johnny,

P.S. this is a common problem with the E36 after a certain amount wear, mileage & age....

Last edited by johnnyBgood; 06-25-2008 at 04:59 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 10:47 AM
Ich bin der Modifikator

Garage
Quote:
you are a life saver!!!!

i sent you a pm.

Hi! Creepingdeath, did you find the clunk under your trunk yet......?
If not, can you describe in detail when you hear this noise, example: On take off, slightly hard acceleration, over bumps does the car seem to not hold the road? If so, then I would have say that is the trailing arm bushings? If not, I just remembered this other rattle I heard under my e36 that I corrected,
The plastic gas tank, the mounting-straps had gaps between them & the tank on both the passenger & drivers side from the original insulation shrinking, so I just loosened the straps & added more foam stripping then retightened the straps! You can check this by going under your car & then try pushing up on the plastic fuel tank, mine moved up about 1/4 of an inch!
It actually rattled as I did this....
Hope you find it & keep me posted........
johnny,
p.s. you know if we were neighbors, I'd be over @ your house helping you..............Jersey kinda far.....

Last edited by johnnyBgood; 06-27-2008 at 10:56 AM.
#6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 02:35 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Update!!

ok:

Here's what i did:
I unbolted about everything that has to do with the rear drive system, including the entire suspension, gearbox, removed it entirely from the frame of the car, including those bushings johnny told me about.

Everything looked perfect. Not a bushing was so much as dry rotted. i wiggled and shoved and pushed and pulled, no clunking. So i decided to start eliminating stuff, so i removed the swaybar altogether, and put everything else back together and drove the car (with no exhaust). Still clunking!!!! So its not the swaybar, or the exhaust, or the shocks.

tho only thing i have not removed is the half shafts. Even though i pushed and pulled on them to feel any play, maybe something else goes on while driving that i cannot simulate, so the next step for me is to swap out the right half shaft from my black wrecked E36 and see if that fixes the problem. If it does, i will be eternally happy.

#7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 02:38 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
A helpful Werkz member suggested it may be my ebrake shoe.

Sounds possible. Any more specifics on that?

#8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 02:40 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
And not that these pics help at all, but its what i was doing all last night, pulling my bimmer apart.

#9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Mr. Bacon

dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to dannyb
The thing about the shoes is your back plate rusts out and the pins dont hold your shoes into the plate anymore so they can let go and lock your wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by german-speed-demon View Post
You may now add "yes, i'm an asshole" to your sig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSixAndSeven
that's my whore ; )
#10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 03:00 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
The thing about the shoes is your back plate rusts out and the pins dont hold your shoes into the plate anymore so they can let go and lock your wheels.
and do they clank around when i go over bumps?

#11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 03:45 PM
Mr. Bacon

dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light dannyb is a glorious beacon of light
yeah, check it out im sure its that

Quote:
Quote:
that's my whore ; )
#12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 03:50 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
yeah, check it out im sure its that
If you are right, i will GIVE you my E30.

Just kidding i won't, but that will be the level of my gratitude.

#13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Mr. Bacon

can i borrow it long term?

Quote:
Quote:
that's my whore ; )
#14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 04:24 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
can i borrow it long term?
heh heh.

#15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 09:59 PM
n00b

Teuffelhunden is on a distinguished road
Hello everyone, I'm new here because I have a problem...
I need to replace the u-joint on my 323IS, but when I replaced the flex joint and midshaft support, I noticed the u-joints have tabs securing them in place as if BMW never wanted them removed from the yoke. I have heard that you must buy an entire new driveshaft to fix the u-joint problem. If so, I am considering taking a die-grinder and grindeing off the tabs, then buying a new u-joint from a drive-line supply company, installing them and welding straps across each to keep them in place...Any other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)