98 323is Evap problem - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010, 05:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
MaClaud10 is on a distinguished road
98 323is Evap problem

It all start with a Check Engine Light i read the code it says: Evap Leak.
i get on the internet and i star looking around for answers, some guys told me to look for pinch or coroated hoases in the expasion tank.
i found some stuff on a website about sensor fault recals on this site: BMW sensor faults and problems
It says that the Fuel Tank Vent Valve or the charcoal canister Purge Valve can be stuck for some reasone whats the probability that this has happen to one of them, if some one has had the same problem and has found that the solution was to replace or clean. If some one knows the electrical way to test these Valves can you HELP ME PLZ
MaClaud10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2010, 10:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ich bin der Modifikator

Car: 97'E36 2.8 w/Optional Sport Package
Photos:
johnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaClaud10 View Post
It all start with a Check Engine Light i read the code it says: Evap Leak.
i get on the internet and i star looking around for answers, some guys told me to look for pinch or coroated hoases in the expasion tank.
i found some stuff on a website about sensor fault recals on this site: BMW sensor faults and problems
It says that the Fuel Tank Vent Valve or the charcoal canister Purge Valve can be stuck for some reasone whats the probability that this has happen to one of them, if some one has had the same problem and has found that the solution was to replace or clean. If some one knows the electrical way to test these Valves can you HELP ME PLZ
Hey.....I feel your pain.....this was my first & only CEL, 1st thing, was the CEL code a small Evap. leak or large Evap. leak?.... because if it is a small leak then this points to a faulty gas cap! So check that first! Did you gas up recently, just leaving the gas cap loose will trip a CEL..... I found out that the Evap. Emissions Expansion tank is prone for the nipple hose connection to crack off, it is located under the rear passenger wheel well. Just remove wheel & inner plastic panel!

If it is cracked, you can try repairing it, I ended up buying a new one......pretty expensive, part # 16131182156

Repair:
evap leak cheap fixed. Broken expansion tank - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum

Wholesale BMW parts:
BMW of Bloomfield

Emissions Expansion tank:

RealOEM.com BMW E36 323i EXPANSION TANK/TUBING

good luck,
jb

Last edited by johnnyBgood; 01-04-2010 at 11:00 AM. Reason: typo
johnnyBgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
thank you johnny yes i have check the expansion tank but ill check it again at that verry place, i also did a smoke test in the system but i didnt find anything.
the funny thing is that when i go to get gas and i take off the gas cap it seems to hold the presure because you hear the air being sucked in, since i live in Texas i have to do the emisions test every year and they check the gas cap for a leak down test thats how i know that the gas cap is in good condition.
I have read that the charcoal canister has a valve that can get stuck open causing it so say that verry same code also or also that verry fuel tank presure sensor can be faulty I HATE EVAP SYSTEM!!!!
Old 01-04-2010, 09:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Hey good news!! i think i migh of found the problem: I checked the charcoal canister i took out the purge valve from the canister and i looked at it and pluged on two wires and tried it with some batteries and it didn't do anything, so i decided to hell with it and tried it with the car batterie and nothing happen, so i tried to mess with a screw driver and i coudnt close it it was completly stuck open after i got it lose i tried it with the car batterie the magic happen the valve close and the it open so im really happy im hopping this works wish me luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)