98 318i Brake Job Problems - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 12:12 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
barcode252 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I'm looking for a few sugestions. I'm Trying to put on new rotors and pads on my car but i cant get the calipers to compress enough to fit the pads around the rotor. It looks like the caliper may have a bit of corrosion preventing it from compressing all the way.

Is there a good way to get these compressed? Would cleaning them help and if so how would be the best way to clean them? Do i just need to get new calipers and if so where from?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 12:26 PM
3rd Gear Member

wulley1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I used a c-clamp. Have you tired that?
#3 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 12:28 PM
1st Gear Member

nycbmw325is is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by barcode252@Oct 14 2004, 10:12 AM
I'm looking for a few sugestions. I'm Trying to put on new rotors and pads on my car but i cant get the calipers to compress enough to fit the pads around the rotor. It looks like the caliper may have a bit of corrosion preventing it from compressing all the way.

Is there a good way to get these compressed? Would cleaning them help and if so how would be the best way to clean them? Do i just need to get new calipers and if so where from?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
[snapback]211102[/snapback]
How are you going about compressing them? Try using a scotcbrite pad and some brake cleaner to polish up the piston. a toothbrush often helps. if you see real scoring and or pitting, you will likely need to rebuild or replace the caliper. What happens is the rough surface tears the seal up and then the caliper starts to leak.. so if you can't rebuild or replace try getting some krocus cloth and polishing any of the nicks and sharp edges out ... this will hopefully save your seals form being cut. If you are not completely comfortable with doing this DO NOT MESS WITH your brakes are far to important to screw up in the hopes of saving a few dollars.
#4 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 01:12 PM
n00b

barcode252 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
We were using a c-clamp to compress.

I will give a light cleaning a try i only need about 2mm to get them on there.

Thanks for the suggestions
#5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 03:04 PM
/Banned

xsperf is an unknown quantity at this point
this might not work, but trying usncrewing ur master cylnder cap
#6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 03:06 PM
5th Gear Member

Autotechnica is an unknown quantity at this point
C-Clamp is definitely the way, possibly the only way. Buy a heavy duty one and that will definitely push the piston back into the caliper. Bashing it with a hammer won't work!

<u>1994 M-Technic M42 Saloon - Trillium Chapter - 5130</u>
Stock - 2866lbs Current - 2670lbs
<a href='http://www.geocities.com/mtechnik42' target='_blank'>- VIEW MY MODS AND PICS</a>
<a href='http://www.automobile-technik.com' target='_blank'>- PARTS FOR SALE</a>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
&lt;img src=&quot;http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/atta...tc=1&quot;&gt;
#7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 04:16 PM
1st Gear Member

nycbmw325is is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica@Oct 14 2004, 01:06 PM
C-Clamp is definitely the way, possibly the only way. Buy a heavy duty one and that will definitely push the piston back into the caliper. Bashing it with a hammer won't work!
[snapback]211211[/snapback]
since many of folks are concerned with cost... and plenty probably dont have a big honking C clamp... why not go out and but a tool designed expressly for this job, which cost less than ten bucks and works better than holding the old pad in place while you try to figure out if you can get the c clamp to stay put on an irregular surface? Sometimes the right tool is cheaper.. becuase a good 6 inch C clamp is at least ten bucks...
#8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 04:30 PM
5th Gear Member

Autotechnica is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by nycbmw325is+Oct 14 2004, 02:16 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nycbmw325is @ Oct 14 2004, 02:16 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Autotechnica@Oct 14 2004, 01:06 PM
[snapback]211211[/snapback]
since many of folks are concerned with cost... and plenty probably dont have a big honking C clamp... why not go out and but a tool designed expressly for this job, which cost less than ten bucks and works better than holding the old pad in place while you try to figure out if you can get the c clamp to stay put on an irregular surface? Sometimes the right tool is cheaper.. becuase a good 6 inch C clamp is at least ten bucks...
[snapback]211270[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

Paid $6 CDN for my C clamp and it was a heavy duty one. C-clamps are very useful for doing a lot of things, not just brakes! Plus, it was easy to use so I don't know what would be so special about that "special tool".

Bry

<u>1994 M-Technic M42 Saloon - Trillium Chapter - 5130</u>
Stock - 2866lbs Current - 2670lbs
<a href='http://www.geocities.com/mtechnik42' target='_blank'>- VIEW MY MODS AND PICS</a>
<a href='http://www.automobile-technik.com' target='_blank'>- PARTS FOR SALE</a>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
&lt;img src=&quot;http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/atta...tc=1&quot;&gt;
#9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 04:36 PM
3rd Gear Member

wulley1 is an unknown quantity at this point
when I used the C-clamp to compress the piston, I did get a little bit of brake fluid to spill out the resivoir.

I don't no what would happen if the cap was so tight none could come out? I guess it could make it harder to compress the piston.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)