97 328ic convert top stuck - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 01:16 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sabre40 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
97 328ic convert top stuck

My wife's 97 328ic top stopped operating when I went to put it up for the day. It occured when the top lid stowed back down, the top never went to the down position after that (fwd to the latch and the aft section down to the lid). Anyone come across this and found the remedy? Does manually stowing it cause sequencing problems ?

Help!
Pensacola, FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 12:34 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
does the motor sound like its working? a few times we have had similar questions... every solution has been different. i really cant help you out on this(not certain), hopefully someone will be able to give you some insite.

#3 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 09:33 AM
n00b

sabre40 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
The top driver....

motor works, but the fwd latch motor is not getting power to complete the top down, the top lid is down and things look in sequence, it just stops at that point. I'm hoping it's a switch but I haven't quite figured it out. I manually put the top down, does this ruin the sequencing of the system?

Pensacola, FL
#4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 07:34 AM
n00b

jcy0001 is an unknown quantity at this point
hey maybe you have to reset the convertible top if so here a link i found but im kindav a newbie so read up some more coz i could be mis understanding the case heres a link tho on how to do it http://home.att.net/~ebaines/converti.htm
#5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 06:04 PM
1st Gear Member

topless_328 is on a distinguished road
Could just be a relay switch that burnt out, causing the next sequence in the top-down procedure to stop. Also, i've heard, if the sensor in the rear tonue cover doesn't read that the rear is sealed, it won't complete the closing of the top.

My suggestion, try and find a convertable top place and have them take a quick look over it.

I had conv. top problems and was forced to go to the stealership and left $400 poorer for some connection that fell off the roof's motor and some tension straps....w/e

good luck

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Mike

-Automotive Engineer in Training-
#6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 07:50 PM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
So by your description it sounds like you have the fully automatic top, not the style where once the top goes forward to close you still have to grab the handle and latch it the rest of the way down.. correct?
The only thing I would recommend doing is grabbing the top and moving it slightly in either direction in case that a microswitch is just hung up or not quite being activated. If it still does not close then you dont want to mess with it much or you will just do more damage.

Keep in mind that the initialization procedure that JCY posted will only work if the convertible top module hasnt stored any faults. If the module has faults it will not allow the initialization to take place.
I would not recommend taing it to a convertible top shop or upholstery shop. I have seen them do terrible work on BMWs. (not necessarily all of them) My recommendation is to take it either to the dealer or a BMW Independent shop who knows those tops well otherwise you are just going to have more problems.
Good Luck,
DT

DT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)