'97 328i looses accelerating power and check engine light comes on? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 03:43 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
gozbay is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy '97 328i looses accelerating power and check engine light comes on?

Hello fellow BMW enthusiasts,

I have been having some trouble for about a month now with my 1997 328I, the car drives fine until I want to accelerate or am accelerating while going up a hill, the car then shakes a little and the check engine light will come on and I will lose all accelerating power, when I come to a stop the car feels like it is going to stall but it doesn't.

I used to be able to just turn the car off and then turn it back on and the check engine light would go off but recently it has been happening a lot and now the check engine light stays on, so I took it over to autozone to get the codes from the OBDII and they are as follows: P1250, P0420, P0430 and P0304

P1250 - PRC Solenoid Circuit Malfunction
P0304 - Cylinder #4 misfire
P0420 - Catalyst Efficiency Bank 1
P0430 - Catalyst Efficiency Bank 2

I have been searching and reading as much as I can about each code but I cant seem to find anything that is consistent with all of them, some people say that P1250 means that I need to replace a coil and some say that it is a result of running my gas too low. Has anyone had this same problem or know how I should go about fixing it? O-yea I just changed the spark plugs about 6 months ago.

Any insight is greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Zach

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gozbay View Post
Hello fellow BMW enthusiasts,

I have been having some trouble for about a month now with my 1997 328I, the car drives fine until I want to accelerate or am accelerating while going up a hill, the car then shakes a little and the check engine light will come on and I will lose all accelerating power, when I come to a stop the car feels like it is going to stall but it doesn't.

I used to be able to just turn the car off and then turn it back on and the check engine light would go off but recently it has been happening a lot and now the check engine light stays on, so I took it over to autozone to get the codes from the OBDII and they are as follows: P1250, P0420, P0430 and P0304

P1250 - PRC Solenoid Circuit Malfunction
P0304 - Cylinder #4 misfire
P0420 - Catalyst Efficiency Bank 1
P0430 - Catalyst Efficiency Bank 2

I have been searching and reading as much as I can about each code but I cant seem to find anything that is consistent with all of them, some people say that P1250 means that I need to replace a coil and some say that it is a result of running my gas too low. Has anyone had this same problem or know how I should go about fixing it? O-yea I just changed the spark plugs about 6 months ago.

Any insight is greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Zach
Hi, Zach....Welcome to the Werkz......

I searched this P1250 - PRC Solenoid Circuit Malfunction, & came up with something about low fuel pressure.....unfortunately, there are so many things that can cause these codes....they all seem to be fuel related.
1st, I would start with the basics, like when was the fuel filter last replaced,
2nd, A miss in any cylinder will cause a catalyst efficiency code, because of an air/fuel mixture being too rich.....so, I would look for a faulty firing ignition coil.

Vacuum leaks? Example: the guy in this link had a crack in his intake manifold:
M Roadster pulling codes - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum

Dirty MAF Sensor?
e36-tech.com | CLEANING YOUR Mass Air Flow Sensor DIY

Clogged ICV?.....(idle control valve)
United Bimmer - BMW Enthusiast Community and Forums : Bimmer Technical Help

johnny,

#3 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 11:11 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Hey Johnny,

Thanks for the welcome, I will start by cleaning the MAF and ICV tomorrow because to get to the ICV I need to take the MAF off anyway.

I will let you know if that makes a difference in the driving.

Thanks,

Zach

#4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 09:08 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Found the problem... the rubber boot coming off the MAF had been dry rotted and cracked which completely threw off the MAF

#5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gozbay View Post
Found the problem... the rubber boot coming off the MAF had been dry rotted and cracked which completely threw off the MAF
Great news Zach, that would definitley cause a vacuum leak, hopefully thats, thats!

johnny,

#6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 07:59 PM
n00b

dman24 is on a distinguished road
gozbay im also having a problem like this. and i was wondering if that was your problem??

DMAN
#7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 08:19 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Well I am hoping that was my problem, I ordered the part ($36) on sunday night and hope I will be able to put it on by wednesday.

All I can say for right now is that for the time being I used a little duct tape to attempt to seal the cracks and cleaned the MAF and my check engine light has gone off and I have noticed a signifigant difference in the driving. I have tested it by flooring it while going up a long hill and it red-lined perfectly fine and there was no hesitation while accelerating (I had the most problems when I was going up big hills)

However this morning the the same thing that has been happening happened while I was just accelerating on a normal road so I turned the car off and the check engine light which came on went off and the car drove fine the rest of the day, I hope this was just because some air was getting through my tape job...

If not there may be something else wrong but I would definitly suggest cleaning the MAF and checking that and the boot that comes off of it for cracks.

#8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 07:54 PM
n00b

samar_kanguri is on a distinguished road
Hi Zach,
did your the new MAF fix your issue. I might have the same problem too.
Hesitation while accelerating..
#9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 08:13 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
It was actually both the MAF and there was a coil that was bad that didn't test as bad with a volt meter, which was the main problem I suspect.

#10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 09:02 AM
n00b

rudeboyslim is on a distinguished road
hello people! i need some help with my 00 323i asap.my check engine light came on,i checked it and this code came up p0304 camshaft position sensor A bank 1 malfuntion. i changed both intake and exhaust cam sensor both it won't go away.the car takes long to accelerate can any one help?
#11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 06:28 PM
n00b

caligirl is on a distinguished road
engine light - same problem

Hello
I have the same problem with my 2000 bmw323. Actually, this problem started with going up hills 2 years ago. (My car would do this every once in awhile). Now, the check engine light has been on for a week straight and the car shakes like it is going to stall. I need to take it to my mechanic but he is out of town for a week. I wonder how long I have until it breaks down or if it will break down? I am taking a 2 hour road trip to fly out of LAX on Thursday.
Should I take it to another mechanic before driving out of town or not?
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)