BMW Werkz banner

96 328is Stock Faster Than G35 Coupe 0-60?

6K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  I_like_bimmers 
#1 ·
the 2002 g35 coupe has close to or 280 power and the 96 328is has 190, yet the 0-60 times are supposively very close? how could this be? and would you recommend modifying a 96 328is or going to a 2001-2003 g35 coupe or 350z? I am looking for more horsepower and i am a poor college studnt and cannot yet afford the e46 m3... so until then what should i do??

#2 ·
The G35 is pretty hefty, which may offset some of the hp advantage - the 328is (non-convertible) weighs about 500 pounds less. The 350Z on the other hand, although still heavier - is only about 200 pounds heavier than the 328is. I'm guessing all the extra sound deadening and "luxury acoutrements" in the G35 add up in weight. Even for the 350Z and G35's extra weight they're still about a full second quicker in 0-60 and quarter mile times.

328is: 6.4, 15
350Z: 5.4, 14.1
G35 coupe: 5.5, 14.2

I'm curious though - you say you can't afford an M3, but you're considering an 03 G35 and a 350Z (the coupes didn't come out until 03)? You can get an older M3 for the price of either car new...

Anyway, my vote is to keep your 328is until the motor blows up and then throw an M3 engine in there. Any a$$hole can buy a 350Z - I think it's cooler to have a sleeper car - just my 2 cents...

#4 ·
Those new Zs an G35's are RWD. its the maxima and altima that are still FWD.
Still, I agree, get the used M3 or keep the 328is. Sex appeal is always greater in the bimmer, always! :D
tho i havent driven one of those rwd nissans--they might be realy sweet.

#5 ·
tho i havent driven one of those rwd nissans--they might be realy sweet.
Well seeing as how this IS a BMW forum any opinions on this subject are likely to be BMW leaning... :D

#6 ·
Originally posted by socalguy@Nov 8 2004, 01:13 AM
I am looking for more horsepower and i am a poor college studnt and cannot yet afford the e46 m3... so until then what should i do??
[snapback]226684[/snapback]​
Don't sweat it kid, most poor business men can't afford an E46 M3 either :p

Your comparing three different monsters if your 'poor'
E36 328is (goes for 10-15k) these days
E36 M3 (goes for 15K-20k) these days
Nisson/G35 (starts @ 30K on up)
E46 M3 (starts @ 55K????)

If your looking at bang for the buck performance then your not looking for a BMW. You need to get yourself grounded and decent if you want to take a small autoloan $250-$300 a month for an E36 328 or you want to take out your first home mortgage to pay for the E46 M ($800+ a month)

My guess is if you fall somewhere inbetween then going with the Z is one of the best of performance machine for the $$$ these days. A step down $$$ wise (but usually bigger performance) would be hunting out a last gen Supra, 300Z, or even RX-7)

Or do what I did, buy a nice sweet 328is to play with, then grab yourself a nice Rice rocket sport bike to feed your appetite for speed.

#7 ·
ive driven an 03 g35 coupe with mods, and i was impressed. he was claiming about 300 hp. i drove it on some country roads dogging the piss out of it. its definately fast, but i hate the shifter in it, the ride is way too bumpy and stiff for my taste even though i love tight suspension. i think my bimmer handles about the same and my ride is way better. the interior in the g35 is nice, but not as good of quality as the bimmer. the shifter in the g35 is crazy, it really doesn't move at all. you push it up about 1cm to get into gear if that. weird, but fun none the less.........i would take the bimmer , hard decision though.

#8 ·
Originally posted by RedlinedRU@Nov 8 2004, 10:06 AM
ive driven an 03 g35 coupe with mods, and i was impressed. he was claiming about 300 hp. i drove it on some country roads dogging the piss out of it. its definately fast, but i hate the shifter in it, the ride is way too bumpy and stiff for my taste even though i love tight suspension. i think my bimmer handles about the same and my ride is way better. the interior in the g35 is nice, but not as good of quality as the bimmer. the shifter in the g35 is crazy, it really doesn't move at all. you push it up about 1cm to get into gear if that. weird, but fun none the less.........i would take the bimmer , hard decision though.
[snapback]226828[/snapback]​
Don't get me wrong - if someone handed me a 350Z or a G35, I definitely wouldn't turn it down. They're cool cars no doubt.

If you want a ridiculous project car for not too much dough - an older 300ZX is a great place to start - I saw a twin turbo buildup that was claiming somewhere around 600 hp.

Sure there are cars that have faster 0-60 times, but BMW's just have a way bringing it all together in a really nice package. I'd still go for my bimmer if I were to choose between my current ride and some Fast and Furious wannabe Eclipse300ZXIntegra or an American straight line performance car (thought about a Mustang GT for a split second until I test drove one - I'd need to drop in a couple grand in suspension before the thing would handle anywhere near as good as my 325is!)

#10 ·
A guy I work with has a Z8, freakin bastard doesn't even drive it very much though - he's got 5-6 other cars and no joke - a couple russian jet fighters... yes, you read me right, he has a MIG.

The Z8 is probably one of my favorite all time cars in terms of looks and performance - although if I had six digits to spend on a car, I'd probably just get a Porsche..

#11 ·
Originally posted by supark@Nov 8 2004, 06:43 PM
A guy I work with has a Z8, freakin bastard doesn't even drive it very much though - he's got 5-6 other cars and no joke - a couple russian jet fighters... yes, you read me right, he has a MIG.

The Z8 is probably one of my favorite all time cars in terms of looks and performance - although if I had six digits to spend on a car, I'd probably just get a Porsche..
[snapback]226986[/snapback]​
Where do you work? In a cave in northen afghanistan?

#12 ·
Originally posted by E36KindaGuy+Nov 8 2004, 08:33 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(E36KindaGuy @ Nov 8 2004, 08:33 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-supark@Nov 8 2004, 06:43 PM

[snapback]226986[/snapback]​
Where do you work? In a cave in northen afghanistan?
[snapback]227177[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

Close - Microsoft.

I think I've worked with five millionaires in the past year - bastards don't even have to work. This guy also has a Harley Road King that was custom painted by Jesse James' shop.

It's funny though - no one really talks much about the Z8 - I think it's by far one of the best looking cars that BMW has churned out. I think the new 7 series looks hideous.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.