95_325is valve train question - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 05:29 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
der_goat is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Question 95_325is valve train question

I'm wondering if the valve train in this vehicle's engine is of the interference type. It's a friend's car, and he had some issues with the ECM and after changing that out, the car still wouldn't fire off. He cranked it and cranked it, but now, there's 0 compression. I'm hoping it only jumped time and all will be well with a new chain, tensioner, and guides. However, I would hate to have to tell him that he's got some bent valves and I'll need to rework the head. I'm just recently getting into european cars, so any help wouold be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 08:28 PM
2nd Gear Member

silversled can only hope to improve
yep, it is the interference type.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 12:44 AM
Sodium Chloride

saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
im guessing youve already done a compression check and got 0 compression? if you havent go ahead and do that and post of what numbers you are getting... if you are getting low or no numbers then i'd try the oil in the cylinder check... put about an ounce of oil in the cylinder and then check the compression again, if it gets compression then its piston ring thats gone... if its not then its the valves not sealing... if you find that you are getting compression without the oil then check for fuel and spark... those are the only other things that could be wrong with it... im hoping it ends up you all passed over a blown fuel pump fuse or something... if it is that, replace the fuse and the fuel filter because that ussually means the pump was having to work real hard to pump the fuel and blew the fuse... on the other hand pray its not ignition... thats one field i cant stand when it goes wrong...
#4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 02:49 PM
n00b

der_goat is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up nothin...

Thanks, silversled and saltshaker, the guy said he'd heard rattling from the timing cover before the ecm took a crap. He cranked it and cranked it then heard a pop and then spun fast. I've not done an official compression test, but I have experienced the bent valves not sealing. It just sits and spins over with no resistance to the starter. Looks like I'll be playin with the head. Any tips on what to watch out for? Special tools? Or is it pretty straight-forward?
#5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 10:07 PM
2nd Gear Member

silversled can only hope to improve
no, no magic, just gonna have to pull the head and take it from there. hopefully the valves didn't punch any holes in the piston crowns and do too much damage to the head itself. could go anywhere from a simple valve job, with new valves as required, to a complete engine rebuild ($700-$5000) depending on what you find out once you get in there. good luck on that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)