95 M3 Steering Problem - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 06:23 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
95 M3 Steering Problem

So about a month or so back I noticed that at low speeds if I had to turn the wheel quickly that something did not quite feel right. I figured it was the power steering and didn't really worry about it since it was only if I was driving "spirited". However, after my trip to US129 and associated fun I have notice that if I turn the wheel while going "fast around a corner" that for a little while the steering feels coarse... like the wheel is not turning smoothly. There is also a bit of a whine when turning the wheel that sounds like it may be coming from behind the steering wheel/column.

My question is, does this sound like a steering column problem or the rack/pinion? I know either way it will be expensive. Also about how long should I have if I go easy with her?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 08:49 PM
5th Gear Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
just a thought... have you checked your power steering fluid lately???? :-)
#3 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 07:51 PM

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Fluid is fine. I am thinking perhaps a tensioner is on it's way out.
#4 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 12:48 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I have teh same problem on my 328. The car is in Arkansas, so I probably won't get to troubleshoot it for a while. Let me know if you find out what is up.

#5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 07:58 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drz View Post
I have teh same problem on my 328. The car is in Arkansas, so I probably won't get to troubleshoot it for a while. Let me know if you find out what is up.
If you can get the car to conway I know a mechanic there.
#6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 08:46 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks man. I'll let you know. For now, I am simply stashing it there for teh time being.

#7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 04:54 AM
n00b

stingoes is on a distinguished road
I think i have the same problem on my 1998 323i. Same problem as you and I also notice i can feel alot more road vibration through the steering wheel now too.
#8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 12:15 AM

(Thread Starter)
The tensioner/bearing for the aux belt fixed it. My hydraulic tensioner was also bad.
#9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 12:32 AM
drz
Administrator

Aux belt

#10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 11:35 AM
5th Gear Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
I understand a loose or faulty belt to drive a power steering pump will cause noisy operation and hard steering; but a belt problem will make a car go fast in the corners?????

Unless you are alluding to the idea that because of a loose belt, the p/s pump turns erratically; I don't think so...
#11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 02:28 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse737 View Post
I understand a loose or faulty belt to drive a power steering pump will cause noisy operation and hard steering; but a belt problem will make a car go fast in the corners?????

Unless you are alluding to the idea that because of a loose belt, the p/s pump turns erratically; I don't think so...
I am not sure that you understand English.

If you re-read the post you might see that I am referring to what happens when the car "goes fast around corners". The cause of the car going fast around corners is me. The effect is that the steering feels coarse and some noise is made.

And it has been fixed.
#12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 03:36 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drz View Post
Aux belt
Which belt that this that does the powersteering etc. Don't remember the names for the belts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)