'95 328i Coupe stalling when revs drop after pushing clutch in - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 12:33 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
keykey is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
'95 328i Coupe stalling when revs drop after pushing clutch in

The Car:
1995 328i Coupe (M52B28 engine)

The problem:
When i'm about to come to a stop and push the clutch in, sometimes the revs drop under 500rpm, and sometimes it stalls. Other times they drop like they should and stay a little over the 500rpm line. Sometimes they drop under 500rpm, _almost_ stalls and then "catch up" to normal idle.

Never stalls like that when it's cold and the idle is raised.

No other idle problems whatsoever otherwise. Very smooth, constant idle.

I have a new crankshaft position sensor because of another stalling problem that's resolved now.

I've cleaned out the Idle Air Control Valve and tested it with the diagnostics actuator test (Bosch KTS670) afterwards. It goes "click clock click clock" just like it should, no problem.

Idle control works fine otherwise, if you activate power consuming things like turn on seat heaters, heated rear window, stereo, power windows, a/c the revs adjust nicely like they should.

The only time it wants to stall is when you've been driving in gear and push the clutch pedal in and let the revs drop. If you put it in gear and let the clutch out again and let the driveline "help" the engine keep revs it doesn't stall.

No Check Engine Light, no fault codes. Runs like a dream in every other way. No power loss or anything like that.

Any tips on what to look at next? Anyone had this problem before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 12:41 PM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
Hmmmmmmm....clutch dragging as not releasing the plate quick enough.

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#3 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 11:31 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
hmmm... last time I remember hearing about this it was from some one that had swapped to an M3 fly wheel which is lighter... How old is your clutch? If it has been replaced what did they do with/to the flywheel etc?
#4 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 02:00 PM
n00b

keykey is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
feels electrical

I don't know about the clutch, unfortunately the previous owner was no enthusiast and he didn't know much about the car's history. He had owned it 3 years and never replaced anything other than an abs sensor himself.

If you put it in neutral directly after clutching in then it shouldn't matter if the clutch is dragging, even if it is. It shouldn't stall/hesitate if the tranny is in neutral but it acts the same way even if you push the clutch in, put it in neutral and let the clutch out again before the revs has dropped.

It feels electrical, just like a bad IAC valve would do, but i've cleaned and checked that already... it's so disturbing because it drives so good otherwise... it really beats me what could cause this, and i'm a mechanic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)