BMW Werkz banner

95 325i Won't Start

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  93 325i 
#1 ·
I have a 95 325I and am having a hard time starting. It was running fine before I had the starting problem. I went on vacation for 3 weeks when I came back the car would not start. I took the battery out, had it tested and charged and it tested okay after it was charged. The car starts sometimes but only runs for a couple of seconds and then dies. I pulled some of the plugs out and they were wet after trying to start the engine. So, I put a new set of plugs in and this first hit of the key the car started and died 3 seconds later. I pulled one of the plugs out and left it on the coil wire and had someone watch the spark plug while I cranked it and got plenty of spark. So I think I am getting spark and gas. I unhooked the mass air flow and it still did not start. Could the fuel pump be causing my problem even though my plugs are wet after I crank the engine and should I hear the fuel pump run when I turn on the ignition. I know some fuel pumps are noisy and some are not, can't ever remember hearing this one before. This is my first post on this site, any reply would be appreciated. I am just about ready to haul it to a shop but would really like to find out what the problem is myself.

#3 ·
Originally posted by 93 325i@Jan 14 2005, 05:26 PM
easy test to try is pull of the bottom backseat cushion and turn the ignition on and listen for the fuel pump. You should be able to hear it. It's the one on the passenger side. This way you can eliminate this as your cause..
[snapback]271681[/snapback]​
my backseat bootom is one piece how does it come out.I had a friend earlier liston for it at the fill hole and he could not hear nothing but some gugerling not the correct word for what iam trying to say !

#4 ·
Originally posted by Brian3251+Jan 14 2005, 05:46 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Brian3251 @ Jan 14 2005, 05:46 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-93 325i@Jan 14 2005, 05:26 PM
easy test to try is pull of the bottom backseat cushion and turn the ignition on and listen for the fuel pump. You should be able to hear it. It's the one on the passenger side. This way you can eliminate this as your cause..
[snapback]271681[/snapback]​
my backseat bootom is one piece how does it come out.I had a friend earlier liston for it at the fill hole and he could not hear nothing but some gugerling not the correct word for what iam trying to say !
[snapback]271690[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]
got the seat out and with the ignition on ,heard nothing ? maybe iam just getting enough gas at first crank to fire the engine and get the plugs wet but not to keep it running and starting.How hard are these fuel pumps to replace if that is the case ?

#8 ·
Also could be fuel related. It's definately NOT battery if your car starts but won't turn over. I also have a 95 E36 (318i) and I had similar problems last summer. I took it in to the dealer and the problem was the air mass meter needed replacing. And everyone told me that E36 cars around 94 to 96 suffer from fuel system problems-the main one being this meter that eventually need replacing (it was like $480 at the BMW dealership but I've since then joined the forum and I've seen the DIY that costs less than $30).

Also unless you're really good at what you're doing...I would go unplugging spark plugs and opening up the engine block to track down what could be a thousand and one causes for this problem. Cause youi may eventually create alot more problems. Just take in to the shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.