95 318ic wont start, egine wont turn over. (couple cold days) - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 10:21 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
vic318ic is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
95 318ic wont start, egine wont turn over. (couple cold days)

Hey Guys,

I keep my car in a closed garage and hardly drive it much, but yesterday I had to drive and when I went to try and start my car it wouldnt budge. I've had similar things happen in the past where it was slow to turn over and needed a little punch with the gas to get it going. THis time its different, the lights, stereo and everything comes on normally so I think the battery is fine. I just bought a new one two years ago..

Do you think the starter could be shot? When i had the key full turned in the "on" position i could hear a clicking kind of sound. But nothing was happening. All my gauges would go on, but nothing..

Does cold weather have an effect on it? I haven't driven in a couple weeks and we've just had a recent stint of cold weather.

Any help would be great.. thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 09:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Gator is an unknown quantity at this point
""on" position i could hear a clicking kind of sound. But nothing was happening."
This is a clear signal that the battery does not have enough charge to turn over the engine. The clicking you hear is the starter solonoid. If your battery is only 2 years old it's probably ok. You just need to charge it or get a jump start.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 11:00 AM
n00b

vic318ic is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator
""on" position i could hear a clicking kind of sound. But nothing was happening."
This is a clear signal that the battery does not have enough charge to turn over the engine. The clicking you hear is the starter solonoid. If your battery is only 2 years old it's probably ok. You just need to charge it or get a jump start.
Thanks, that seems like the easiest place to start. I just ruled it out because the lights came on and my stereo was working, so it seemed like the battery had enough juice to run them. I guess it was enough for that, but not enough to start it. I take it letting a car sit about 2 weeks in cold weather (single digit lows, hights in the teens/20's) can zap a battery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)