94 M42 318i Starting Problems - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 09:59 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
PicksBimmers is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
94 M42 318i Starting Problems

Hi All, I am new to the Forum. I searched for start problem threads and have tried tests/solutions I found, but I still can't get my 318 to start. Mi = 206K and had been running fine, parked in garage then no start in morning. Car has always run rich, poor gas mileage, and tends to fowl spark plugs in short time. The fuel pump and filter, O2 sensor are recently new. Does not burn oil. What have I done so far:

Checked spark, all cylinders are sparking.
New Spark Plugs.
Tested fuel pump and is working, but I don't have tools to test pressure.
Checked compression, fine and even in all cylinders
No oil in spark plug holes.
Engine check light is not on.
Cleaned crankshaft position sensor.
Battery and starter are fine, engine turns over at good rpm.

When starting, it trys to fire but just will not catch. Acts somewhat like when the fuel pump failed but elec, timing issues can also act like this.

Any help will be appreciated. Maybe to the Shop next.

PS - My 2 repair mainuals are vague on this. Cyl numbers are 1-4 starting from front of car - right. Are the 4 Ingition coils in the same order front to rear? 1 to 1, 2 to 2. etc. for sparkplug wires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 03:16 PM
Neutral Member

92cleanbeam is on a distinguished road
I am assuming that it starts with "Redneck spray"? Or starting fluid? If you have an extra hand try spraying some fluid in and see if you can get it to run for a few seconds. Check for knocking and pinging. Or anything that sounds like timing. Are you sure your timing chain is still good? Look in valve cover and see if valves are moving. Also I just had this problem with a completely different vehicle but with the same concept as this fuel delivery setup. I pulled the fuel filter and fuel came out. So I thought nothing of it. Then I just figured what the hell, and put on a new filter and it worked fine thereafter. I was dumbfounded. I seen fuel come out with decent pressure through old one. However it was not enough I guess. Make sure you do a pressure check before you start tearing down anything. Especially if it starts and runs with starting fluid. It could also be the fuel pressure regulator.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 10:38 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks 92Clean, I will try some starter fluid. As you I did disconnected from the filter and there was pressure, but I went ahead and put in a new filter. I also cleaned all the grounds, and befor put in new Pump and DME relays when I installed the new fuel pump 6 months ago. I may try the old relays and also with the starter fluid to see what happens. To me it seems like a fuel problem, but it's all new, so. As with all fuel and elec problems it's either on or off so they are hard to find.

I ask the ? about the ignition coils because I may have 1 and 2 crossed, but I tried both ways, no dif.

Thanks again
#4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 02:32 PM
Neutral Member

92cleanbeam is on a distinguished road
I have never had good luck with replacing relays. It seems as though I always get defective ones from the parts store. I have better luck through salvage. Kinda weird. Not on this car but many others I have dealt with. I am not real sure if this car has an inertia switch but if it does, check it.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 09:32 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I know what you mean 92Clean, BMW does not stock the relays the car came with so they gave me their replacement parts, Murphy's Law in play . I replaced the relays when I replaced the pump just because of age. So tomorrow I am going to test the pump and try the old relays because they were not the problem last time and see what happens. Try the start fluid last just to see if it will run. When I finally get it running again I will post the fix.
#6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 10:24 PM
n00b

wrenchn is on a distinguished road
'94 318I M42 Cranks but won't start

My Bimmer will not start after running fine for years. The car cranks over very strong and sounds like it is trying to start but just won't. I thought it was the timing belt or gears, so I remove the valve cover and check. Its good. I am now waiting on the new gasket to replace the cover and will check for trouble codes next. Does anyone have any better ideas?

Wrenchn
#7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 10:58 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Hi Wrenchn, Same thing happened to me 6 months ago, was driving and just quit. Thought it was ignition or timing, but it was the fuel pump which had quit. Not to hard to change. There are ways to check it to see if it's working. Good luck with the valve cover gasket. I relpaced the one on my 2001 325i, kind of a pain which is why I have neglected the 94 which also needs a new gasket.
#8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 10:12 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Update:
I have replaced and checked many items, all check good, but finally found that the cam shaft sensor was not sending a signal. Sensor was replaced with new but still no signal.

Question: What does this sensor sense? Something on the cam sprocket? Cam chain? Could something the sensor is looking for be obscured or broken?

Any thought would help

Thanks in advance
#9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 02:22 AM
5th Gear Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
Cool

Did you care to check your fuses before digging deeper?

then... New plugs, you said. What kind exactly? Bimmers your model and series do not like platinum or iridium plugs. Use Copper core only

GOOD LUCK
#10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 10:40 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Darkhorse737 for the tip in which plugs work good. I am using el-cheapo autolites. Thought about upgrading if I got it running but now I won't.

Update - Car is now running. Most likely the problem was the crank sensor. I changed it, but would not start. But before that, I had change and looked at spark plugs about 10 times and managed to mess up the wire order. Thought this was a possibility which is why I had asked what the order of the 4 coils were. Had to take it to a shop who finally figured it out. Engine order from front to firewall is 1,2,3,4. In my car the coil order from front to firewall is 4,1,2,3. I mean, who could have guessed this. But at least now it's running good.

Thanks to all who had ideas. Funny 1 though, I tried the starter fluid, but because I had the wire crossed ended up blowing the top of the air cleaner box and air valve off the car. Fortunately I did not hard attached the air filter box so all I broke was the flex hose to the intake manifold.

Happy Drives, Pick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)