94 BMW will turn over but won't start - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 02:46 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bellbimmer71 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
94 BMW will turn over but won't start

I have a 94 BMW 325i, only had it 2 weeks now, drove it all day yesterday no problems, drove it last night and while I was driving accidentally hit the "manual" button, after that car started acting like it was going to run out of gas, but had gas in it. Had it parked idle on an incline and it kept "jumping" like it was in drive, on the way home it continued to act like it was running out of gas so I put more gas in it. Still did same thing. Got up this morning and it will turn over but won't start (fire), sprayed some gas into the carborator and it still wouldn't fire up. Radio, lights etc all work. Any ideas I can try myself before spending the big bucks at an auto shop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 03:03 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
When you say carburetor, do you mean somewhere in the intake? A 1994 325i would not have a carburetor; it's fuel injected. I think I'd start by inspecting the intake (the plastic parts) for cracks, and the airflow sensor may need inspection and cleaning.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 03:40 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)

I'll check that, I almost thought the anti-theft was malfunctioning this morning or perhaps someone messed with it overnite cause I left the top down. But I was't sure how they acted when the anti-theft had been messed with, will they go completely dead when you turn the key?
#4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 04:00 PM
OMFG another one!?

witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
I don't think so, and if something happened, the car should have been beeping the horn. Now if that happened a lot, that might run it down... but someone would have heard it I'd think.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 06:45 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)

yes I mean intake, sorry this is my first forgein car use to dealing with chevy's fords etc. Checked the intake no cracks or such. I'm guessing my only option is to hook up to a code reader and see what it says unless you or anyone else has another suggestion
#6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 06:57 PM
OMFG another one!?

The code reader is a good next step.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 06:00 AM
Neutral Member

MADDOUG is on a distinguished road
Do checks for fuel starvation as well,the filter may be plugging up.Also when ignition first turned on you should hear the 'in tank pump' buzz for a few seconds and switch off as it pressurises the fuel rail.I have known a fuel pump to escape from the cage it locks into inside tank and sit up higher than normal resulting in car cutting out,this was on a friends 93 740.Another scenario is the fuel pressure regulator situated on the fuel rail may be faulty so although the engine runs there is not good pressure to ensure correct fuel atomisation at injectors,this leads to lumpy running.Do the code reading,if nothing shows up then check the ignition and esp the electrical connections at the ignition key,these can wear inside and give misfire or no start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)