BMW Werkz banner

94 325is Problems

6K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  sre2114 
#1 ·
I just got a 94 325iS and I was wondering how many problems are too many problems? Right now i have 6: brake light circuit, rattle driver side rear, ac/heater dials dont lite, windows wont go up unless you overide the safety fearture, passenger seat doesnt go up, and the automatic temperature control doesnt seem to work right. I was just wondering if this amount of problems is normal for a 10 year old BMW? Is it worth it to fix the problems and keep the car or should i return it? Thanks

#4 ·
All those problems seem relatively small and I think that's only slighty worse than normal. The brake light circuit should be easy to replace, the rattle is probably bad rear shock mounts, dead bulb in your climate control panel, not sure about the windows, the motor in your passenger seat is probably bad or a bad connection, and the automatic temp control is pretty common not to work on e36's. I know that mine doesn't work right but I never use it so it doesn't bother me. Again, it IS a 10 year old car so there's bound to be some small problems. If you got it from a dealer you could probably get them to fix those things for free. How many miles do you have on it?

#5 ·
it has 130000 and we got it like late august. I dont know if I want the dealer looking at it. Its been in there like 4 times to fix the Brake Light Circuit which comes on and off at random. The first time they didnt fix it. The second time they said we couldnt get it to fail so we did nothing. The third time same thing as the second, and the fourth it was in for ABS light and the brake light circuit and they replaced the brake master cylinder and said that should fix both, well it didnt. and the scary part we have told them to replace the brake light switch and they havent.

#8 ·
That's terrible! Find a competent independent BMW mechanic. Did they charge you for the brake cylinder? If so, you should complain and get your money back. I would recommend you replace the brake light switch yourself. I'm kind of a lardass, but was still able to do it (small space under there). There is a DIY on Pelican Auto Parts website.
-Alternatively-- any mechanic could do it. The other problems: same as what the others have said. So , no further help there. The auto climate control on my car was replaced just before I bought it, at 45K. It's a 98 :cya .

Welcome to BMW ownership-it gets better :thumbs

#9 ·
yeah its pretty sad, and no they didnt charge me for the brake cylender. Also i really dont want to replace it myself because its their problem that they said they would fix before we even bought the car in august and they havent fixed it. So im going to make their life miserable and then replace it if they dont in a couple months and bill them for my labor hopefully.

#10 ·
I also got my car with lots of problems. Needed all new shocks and mounts, driver side window was broken, valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket needed to be replaced, and new control arm bushings. Some other things. I got the car about a month ago now. Started repairs early oct. Its a '94 with 135 miles on it. The guy sold it to me for 6K and I have done around 2K in parts cost and some shop repairs. I guess it all depends it you have money and time. But to me, it was worth it.

Current status: broke, but happy. lol. :cheers

#11 ·
I didn't realize you bought the car from them, or did you?. If so, That's even more outrageous! They should take care of that--it's such a simple thing. AND the other problems. Give em HELL. It might be worth becoming a member of the BMWCCA, because then they might think you're "linked" with the greater BMW world and will spill the beans about their incompetence. :screwy

#12 ·
well it isnt a BMW dealership its some little place in upstate NY called Majestic Auto. But yeah i bought the car from them and we are noticing all these problems as we go along. Its really sort of dissappointing. Also the rattle isnt a rattle its like plastic on plastic sort of a rub and its coming from where the rear speaker is right above the seat.

#13 ·
I'd get the auto climate control fixed, and the window issue resolved. I doubt they'll take care of everything, and those are potentially the more expensive. As for the rattle, not sure. SOunds like you might just need to jam something in there to stop the friction. Overall, these issues sound pretty benign. As long as the car drives and runs well, the other stuff will get sorted sooner or later. Also, it makes sense that they haven't replaced the brake light switch--they've probably never heard of this common problem on e36 beemers.
oh well

#14 ·
take it back, get something that works completely. i got mine for 5500, and they fixed all the little problems before they let me drive away. no joking, if they are giving you the runaround, then what is wrong with the car that they dont want to fix...what is going to be your first BIG problem. as said before, find an indipendant euro car shop and pay the 60 bucks to have them find all the problems, figure out whats gonna go next, then decide what to do. dont trust the dealer mechanics...those guys work and speak directly off of a script..

good luck
Mark

#15 ·
Originally posted by Speedy-325is@Oct 17 2004, 10:02 PM
take it back, get something that works completely.  i got mine for 5500, and they fixed all the little problems before they let me drive away.  no joking, if they are giving you the runaround, then what is wrong with the car that they dont want to fix...what is going to be your first BIG problem.  as said before, find an indipendant euro car shop and pay the 60 bucks to have them find all the problems, figure out whats gonna go next, then decide what to do.  dont trust the dealer mechanics...those guys work and speak directly off of a script..

good luck
Mark
[snapback]213099[/snapback]​

Bought a 1995 325i sedan, outside and inside of car in almost perfect condition.. aside from needing a wash.. I got it for $4500 and it has 130 K on it.. Here is a break down of the problems I had fixed on it:

exhaust system replaced: $344
odometer intemittenly on/off, clock not working:replaced whole cluster for $350
(note: this also fixed clock)
tramsmission fluid had to be changed: $180 (includes filter/labor)
water pump needed to be reaplced: $79
rear brakes: $169 + $12 to replace brake sensor
total labor charge: $300

So after repairs, taxes, and cost of car, I spent around $6200-6300.. And everything on the car works, besides what was mentioned.. Plus it looks darn good.. I'll post pics when I get it all cleaned up..

$6900 seems a little high for a 94 2 DR 325is, I know in Dallas or Houston, you can get them all day long for around $4500-6000 easy.. I came across a 93 325IS w/ 144 K, jet black, for $5500, and it was in great condition..

Go check out Autotrader.com, you'll be able to figure out what the market is like in your area and in surrounding areas..

By the way, my car has a value of around $6500-7000 according to edmunds.com

The 325IS 94 the person speaks of is valued at around $4500-5000 if bought by private part.. And would sell for $6500 at a dealer's lot.. I had to list this car as AVERAGE condition b/c of some of the mechanical faults it had and it lowered it's value by $1200-1600 depending on if sold privately or by dealer.. Higher if by dealer.

#18 ·
bought mine for 6500 from Pen. State, replaced shocks and has a cracked window with some paint missing on the bumper where a sticker was, starting to have the brake switch problem, but the dealer around here want like 20 bucks for the switch so i haven't bought it yet, other wise i really haven't had any problems with it,

#20 ·
I also purchased a 94 325i about 3 months ago with 100k on the clock. Would grade it in B+ condition, normal stone chips and 60% on the tires. Had an independent mechanic go over it before purchase ($75). He found; warped rotors, bad lower control arm bushings, bad heater relay, leaking power steering reservoir, and advised that the trunk had been repainted. Dealer (non-BMW) fixed all of the issues within the sale price of $5800.

Now have 105k and love the car. Other than an oil change (DYI) I’ve had to replace the thermostat and elected to replace the water pump while I was at it. Have also replaced the plugs and checked the compression. The engine specs out like it has just been broken in.

Sounds like you have far more issues for the price paid than I have experienced

#21 ·
Originally posted by SemiPerfect@Oct 20 2004, 11:14 AM
$20? dude, dont be cheap, just fix it..

if it were $2000, I'd say screw it. but $20 is nothing
[snapback]214790[/snapback]​
yeah i know, i just know i could get it for cheaper just haven't found a good place to get it, but it only comes on once every like two weeks, but i'll probably end up buying it from them, cause i don't know where else to go

#22 ·
I got a little fucked over for my car, but there was nothing else left. 85% of the E36's were automatics and weren't white. Not to mention, most were the 4 door sedan.

Finally i found a 90k mi white 325is 5 speed maintained by a bmw service tech; but sadly, i think he knew he was selling the car for quite a while. he must have let some things wear a little more than if was was going to keep the car.

I was moving out on my own in less than a week so i was unable to order the parts online and help my father do most of the repairs... :banghead

The problems my car had were:

(dealership reccomendation / prices)

PROBLEMS NOT REPAIRED:

AC compressor/condenser/receiver/drier : ~$2,000
was not repaired since i dont need AC (i think i might even remove the compressor anyways for weight :wink)

Brakes..20% front, 5% rear: ~$300

PROBLEMS REPAIRED:

cracked flex disc/guibo: $331 (including labor)

rear axle bearings were worn: $317 (including labor, but i think its bullshit that labor was so expensive when the guibo was already being repaired)

Inspection 2: $525

should've taken it to a independent bmw mechanic...fuckers...

Since brake pads were almost worn and they wanted $300 dollars for the job, i said "fuck it" and did it myself, almost everyone should! for what i bought in parts to lift the car, perform the repair and my $150 dollar bill for the pads i still spent less and got better braking included free of charge... :lol:

#23 ·
Originally posted by _1634_@Oct 21 2004, 03:53 AM
I got a little fucked over for my car, but there was nothing else left. 85% of the E36's were automatics and weren't white. Not to mention, most were the 4 door sedan.

Finally i found a 90k mi white 325is 5 speed maintained by a bmw service tech; but sadly, i think he knew he was selling the car for quite a while. he must have let some things wear a little more than if was was going to keep the car.

I was moving out on my own in less than a week so i was unable to order the parts online and help my father do most of the repairs... :banghead

The problems my car had were:

(dealership reccomendation / prices)

PROBLEMS NOT REPAIRED:

AC compressor/condenser/receiver/drier : ~$2,000
was not repaired since i dont need AC (i think i might even remove the compressor anyways for weight :wink)

Brakes..20% front, 5% rear: ~$300

PROBLEMS REPAIRED:

cracked flex disc/guibo: $331 (including labor)

rear axle bearings were worn: $317 (including labor, but i think its bullshit that labor was so expensive when the guibo was already being repaired)

Inspection 2: $525

should've taken it to a independent bmw mechanic...fuckers...

Since brake pads were almost worn and they wanted $300 dollars for the job, i said "fuck it" and did it myself, almost everyone should! for what i bought in parts to lift the car, perform the repair and my $150 dollar bill for the pads i still spent less and got better braking included free of charge... :lol:
[snapback]215355[/snapback]​

how much you pay for the car?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.