BMW Werkz banner

'94 318is Air Filter Replacement Help...

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Hootie361 
#1 ·
I need to replace the air filter for my '94 318is. Whjer is it located--is it easy to do? Any DIY links for this? What brand do you recommend?

#3 ·
Yeah, it's really easy. Look under the hood on the driver side,
next to the radiator. There are several clips which hold down the
top, you simply pop them loose, remove the top, take the filter
out, then drop the new one in. You may have to use a little muscle,
but none the less, it's a fairly easy operation. As far as filter types,
K & N is OK, but it is my belief that if you change your filter every
6000 miles, you should be allright. Most air restriction
is at the air intake tube and throttle body, so it is a matter of how
often you change your filter that counts. Bigger pores in the filter
means more dirt into the combustion chamber, at
least that's my opinion.

#5 ·
Don't believe any rumors regarding the K&N, or similar, air filters. They are performance filters, comprised of materials that breath more efficiently and STILL restrict the passage of particulates into the air stream. I have yet to talk to one person who noted a K&N air filter wrecked their engine. I, personally, have switched to the K&N over the stock for my bimmer and noticed a slight improvement in the way the engine sounds/performs. Note though, that K&N filters still require cleaning once a year.

If you're looking for the cabin air filter to your A/C system, check in the rear of the engine compartment, just below the windshield. I've also heard some of these cabin air filters can be located behind the glove compartment in the passenger cabin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.