93 325i won't start - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 06:20 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
934dr325 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
93 325i won't start

My brother parked this car for two years in his garage. Then he charged the battery and it started fine. He drove it around, and then parked it in front of his house. Tried to lock doors with key; they would lock, then immediately unlock. He left it that way for two months before trying to start it again. It wouldn't start. He needed money, so I bought the car.

Vehicle: 1993 325i 2.5L I6 VIN: WBACB4315PFLxxxxxx

NOTE: No key fob available. Alarm system was disabled/disconnected well back in the past. Car had functioned normally since the alarm was disabled.

Problems:
1) engine will not start
?? no spark ??
?? no fuel ??

2) passenger-side front door will not lock when locking the doors with the key in the driver-side door. The door lock solenoid actuates (pulls the locking mechanism down part-way) but does not complete travel to lock door. Almost immediately, all doors unlock.

If the key (in the driver-side door) is turned three times rapidly clockwise, the other three doors will lock and stay locked. The passenger-side front door still does not lock.

If the key is placed in the passenger-side door, it will manually lock and unlock the door. However, the automatic locking of the other three doors does not occur.

Action taken to date:
1) The ‘Check Engine’ light is burned out, so any codes cannot be “pulled”. Replacing the lamp requires working in close proximity to the driver-side airbag. Being inexperienced with air bags, I have not attempted to disable the airbag (just call me Chicken).

2) Discovered that the fuel relay was not receiving power from the main power relay. Jumped fuel pump relay coil to battery and the fuel pump turned on. Attempted to start engine with fuel relay manually actuated (jumper installed). Engine did not start, indicating a possible no-spark condition also exists. However, I have not verified actual fuel flow to the injectors with the pump operating.

3) Since each spark plug has an ignition coil mounted directly to its head, checking for spark is difficult and has not been attempted.

Assumption:
1) Suspect that the electronic control module and/or the electronic door lock module have disabled both the fuel and spark systems because of the malfunctioning passenger-side door lock. I hope the ECM hasn't failed.

Actions Planned:
1) Verify fuel flow to the injectors with fuel pump operated manually
2) Check for ignition spark
3) Disable driver airbag and replace ‘check engine’ lamp so trouble codes can be read.

Any suggestions, hints, or direction is deeply appreciated, and sorely needed, as I am not a BMW 'spurt'.

Thanks,
934DR325

Last edited by 934dr325; 11-12-2008 at 06:24 PM. Reason: redundancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 10:49 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
Did your brother do anything else with the car before he turned it on after 2 years? Fuel stabilizer? Replace all fluids? It is possible that complications have occurred if it was stored improperly.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 07:26 PM
n00b

whonneb is on a distinguished road
Hmm

I would also try some "fresh gas" as well. Check the idle control value as well.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 12:02 PM
n00b

Russian318 is on a distinguished road
its most likely the fluid problem try replacing fuel filter and raining old gas refreshen it up a little like spark plugs and oil etc. previous owner of my 318 had it stored fir 3 years and when i bought it it was really hard to start so changed that i listed above and car runs like new check your fuses before you do anything!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)