93-325i starting problems - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 03:42 PM
Geo
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Geo is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hello all-
I'm a first time 1993 325i owner and it's been an interesting week. I have a question about a starting problem. Friday my wife came home from driving around for a good part of the day. After about 20 minutes she went out to leave, and the car would start but die quickly, not taking gas, etc. We tried it a few times, a few different ways, and the same. About 2 hours later, I tried it and it started right up like nothing was wrong. I didn't have this problem again until today (Monday). Again it was hot from running for a while and it sat for about 20 minutes and then I went to start it-- it would start and die. 3 hours later, it still won't start- just turns over. Can anyone tell me how to get the codes on this car so I can find out what is causing this? Also, are there any common issues that cause a similar problem that I should know about? Thanks in advance.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 03:50 PM
n00b

Dahboo is an unknown quantity at this point
It sounds like it could be an issue with the fuel delivery, possibly a bad fuel pump/fuel filter? Also, in '92-'93 model year 325's, the fuel hoses have a tendancy to harden, or "set".
#3 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 03:59 PM
Geo
n00b

Geo is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Thanks- I will check out the pump and hoses. Is the pump easy to replace? Also, the check engine light has been on since I bought it (a week ago). The manual says that is emissions related.

Any info on codes would be great! Thanks again.

George
#4 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 04:09 PM
n00b

IvanB is an unknown quantity at this point
take out the rear seats, you will see the fuel pump/filter under the right side where it sits directly attached to the gas tank. Try banging on the top of the fuel pump a few times pretty hard (dislodge some sediment) and see if you can get some gas flowing enough to start the car. you dont have to take apart the pump or remove it for this test.

if that works, go to dealer and buy a new fuel pump for $150. you can install the fuel pump yourself if you are careful not to spill too much gas around your back seats. only takes about 5 minutes.

I saw a 14+ year BMW master mechanic use the same trick to diagnose my bad fuel pump a few months ago.

even the pro's bang on stuff i guess.

good luck.
#5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 04:11 PM
n00b

IvanB is an unknown quantity at this point
oh also you may want to see if you need to replace the o2 sensor. the 1992 only has one, not sure if the 93 has 2 or more. Bosch quotes 60k miles for the 02 sensors for Bmw. about $85 w/ bmw harness at a wholesale auto parts store. probably self install, i havent done it yet myself tho, i have the part ready for later.
#6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 08:51 AM
n00b

Dahboo is an unknown quantity at this point
I think only OBDII ('96+) has two O2 sensors.. '95 and earlier (OBDI) should only have one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)