92 e36 needs some love too! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2005, 12:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
For Teh Walrus?

Car: 1980 635csi euro
Photos:
WALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to WALSRU Send a message via MSN to WALSRU
92 e36 needs some love too!

I don't want to hi-jack the thread that got me thinking of this so I started this one.

Does anyone know of any possible advantages (aside from one less thing to break) of not having vanos. The only thing's I've thought of are:

Compression should be lower, but by how much? As long as everything is still forged might it be a better FI engine potentially?

Also they sell completely different cams for the '92, without the vanos can they maybe rev higher or be set up for a better high end?

Any other ideas or am I doomed to try an engine swap if I'm aiming for at least 300 rwhp?

1980 635csi Euro . . . Current
1985 535i . . . Soon to be parted out
2001 Subaru Forester . . . DD
WALSRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2005, 02:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
General Chaos

Car: ///M3,Corolla
Photos:
SpeedInfusion has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to SpeedInfusion
300 whp is easily atainable with non-vanos

non-vanos has a iron block, and the cams run hotter, so u can swap the intake cam into the exhaust cam area and get a shrick or eurospec m50 non-vanos intake cam and throw it in the intake cam spot, duno the exact degrees and lift...but i can find out tommrow...jason actually has said that he believes he can rev this motor to 8K or was it 9K and do 200 mph....in a year or so im actually gona be FI'ing my car...duno which setup, i was lookin at turbokits.com but the more i think about it the more im going towards a custom setup...i originally only wanted like 300 whp with the tsi kit from turbokits.com but now im thinking if ima go FI might as well push around 400- 450....so custom setup might end up being my route...
so wat u can do: cam, s50 crank,then get custom software...

EDIT: here

non Vanos cams are :
INTAKE 240 degrees, 9.7mm lift
EXHAUST 240 degrees, 9.0mm lift

Vanos 2.5L cams are (I think):
INTAKE 228 degrees, I forgot how much lift, but not more that 9.7mm
EXHAUST 228 degreesm 8.9mm lift

oh or get the shrick cam...
256 degrees
intake cam
M50 non-vanos,
600$$

Last edited by SpeedInfusion; 11-21-2005 at 02:24 PM.
SpeedInfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 02:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
For Teh Walrus?

Photos:
WALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to behold
Keep me updated on that, I would love to stay naturally aspirated if possible. A german 6 revving to 8 or 9k would sounds absolutely nuts!

I'm still leaning widebody so I'll probably be doing that while you're working on the engine.

Old 11-21-2005, 06:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: 2010 (Prefer not to say here).
Photos:
thekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to thekid Send a message via AIM to thekid
There is one advantage to the early 92 E36's, however it has nothing to do with vanos. You have strut tab mounted sway bars like the M3. It makes your ride a little harsher, but improves handling. However, should you take advantage of that your subframe will rip apart.
thekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 07:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
catalyst. is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to catalyst.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WALSRU
Keep me updated on that, I would love to stay naturally aspirated if possible. A german 6 revving to 8 or 9k would sounds absolutely nuts!

I'm still leaning widebody so I'll probably be doing that while you're working on the engine.
Without solid lifters the valves will float at 8K, they can rev higher than the vanos motors, but i wouldnt want to push it past 7600 without some serious mods.

Use s50 internals, hotter cams, s50 or custom pistons, bore the block to fit the pistons, knife edge the crank, and you will have one fucking badass motor. Theres a guy over on r3v running a similar setup to what i said.

After all is said and done, a used s50 may be cheaper, but you wont have the goodies that come along with building your own setup. Plus.. how fun would it be to build an engine like that

Last edited by catalyst.; 11-21-2005 at 07:12 PM.
catalyst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 07:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
For Teh Walrus?

Photos:
This is where my wholesale connections come in handy

Oh thought I'd throw in a link
http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....479&kw=13&p=11
I decided I'd be perfectly happy if my car sounded like that

Old 11-21-2005, 08:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
General Chaos

Photos:
when u get the s50 crank u dont need to do jack from waht ive been told, just use the m50 rods and pistons...
Old 11-21-2005, 09:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
catalyst. is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to catalyst.
That yeilds 2.9L, you get 3.0 if you use s50 pistons. Im 97% positive about that. Also, im not sure, but i think that if you use an s52 head then it will be alot more rev happy, as the s52 head components add up to be about a lb lighter than the s50 or m50 components. By components i mean valves, trays, lifters.

The s50 head is the same as the m50 correct?

Last edited by catalyst.; 11-21-2005 at 09:38 PM.
catalyst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 04:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
For Teh Walrus?

Photos:
As far as I know, they're the same.

By the way, I'm getting this kit before I pull a SpeedInfusion.
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html..._ID=4111225649

Old 11-22-2005, 07:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
General Chaos

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WALSRU
As far as I know, they're the same.

By the way, I'm getting this kit before I pull a SpeedInfusion.
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html..._ID=4111225649
hahaha well good luck on the welding cost....also, have ur subframe bushings changed...

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)