92 BMW 325i - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 09:15 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
shafor is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
ghead A buddy of mine has a 92 325i (M50 Engine) and up until yesterday it was running fine. Last night when they tried to start the car it would turnover and fire but wouldn't stay cranked (The first time they tried to crank it when it wouldn't start they heard a popping sound and there was a faint burnt smell, very brief). We were able to get it cranked and running only by giving it gas but it seems to surge very badly, back firing and you can tell it doesn't want to stay cranked. When you let off the gas it stalls immediately. The oxygen sensor was recently replaced and he replaced the fuel filter today thinking that may be the problem, didn't help. Both needed to be replaced and were cheap enough to do. We also checked all of the fuses and they all looked fine. There's no engine codes at all. It seems like it could be a lot of things, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas where to start (I.E. fuel injectors, Air Flow Sensor, ignition, etc...) and where we could go for information on how to test the suspected components. Thanks in advance for your help...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 09:34 PM
2nd Gear Member

EXtech is an unknown quantity at this point
wow... how do I even start with this one?? Very rarely do BMW's just decide to not run one morning. Can you provide a course of events??? What else was touched?? give a timeline of events from the last point that the car was running fine to the very last point before your post. ..details, details...

and welcome to the forums by the way !!

STETT Performance -
Everything BMW
921 J Place, Suite 200
Plano, TX 75074
469-767-3309

OEM Repairs and Maintenance
Extended Warranty Service
Pre-Purchase Inspections
Everything Performance (brakes, turbos, Nitrous, Cams, Complete Engines, Clutches/Flywheels etc)
-----------

STETT Performance Official Grand Opening BMW Meet, May 6th 11A-3P -- Music, Food, Drawings and Tons of BMW's go to http://206.123.107.13/stett and register.. it's FREE
#3 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 07:48 AM
n00b

shafor is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Recently the car was idling kind of poor (up and down in rpm's and idling a little rough, nothing major, no stalling) and the check engine light would come and go. We pulled the codes off while the light was on and found the problem to be the oxygen sensor. We replaced the oxygen sensor last week sometime (Bosch) and the idle seemed to get a little better (No longer hunting and a little smoother). We also replaced the idler pully as it was screaching horribly consistantly anytime the car was running. The car has been running fine since then, one thing to note is that it does make a whinning noise (almost sounds like a loud super charger) for about a second, after the pulley was replaced ,after you started it up, but didn't make the noise after initial startup. It sounded like the pulley was just loosing up or breaking in. Sunday after they drove the car to church and back and around town that afternnon with no problems. Sunday night they got in the car, tried to start it up, it cranked over but stalled out? My buddies wife was the one who was using the car and she said that she heard a popping noise, saw a little smoke, and we could smell a faint burning smell in the engine compartment. We worked on the car some and it would turn over and fire but wouldn't stay running. The gas tank was close to empty so we felt that it might just have run out of gas. We went and go gas and tried again, same problem. We experimented with it a little and we could get the car running when we pressed down the pedal, however it would stumble, bog down, and back fire and when we let off the gas the car dies again. We checked all of the fuses and looked and connections to make sure they were on tight and that the fuses weren't blown. We looked at the hose connection, but probably could have looked at them better. We just checked out the surface of the hoses. We pulled engine codes and there were none. We had talked about replacing the fuel filter anyways and we knew it needed to be replaced so he replaced it yesterday. One thought was that if the car did happen run out of gas maybe it pulled just enough junk out of the tank to clog up the filter to the point where the car was starving for gas? Well the fuel filter didn't do the trick and didn't notice large amounts of dirt falling back out out of the old filter. So now were just looking for some direction to try and figure the best place to look and some tests we can run against the components. Hoses may be a good place to start or wire connections? Thanks for your help...
#4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 12:24 AM
2nd Gear Member

EXtech is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm trying to figure out why all of a sudden something went wrong just by replacing an O2 sensor. Like I mentioned before, this is a hard one to begin with just because a shear description doesn't necessarily help. To be perfectly honest with you, I am worried that you may have a DME problem and might need a new unit. Then again, what you describe could be an issue with a bad Catalytic converter. If you want to test that theory, disconnect the header pipe to cat. converter connection and then start the car. It will be very loud but if the car runs fine then you have your problem. It's possible that the 02 sensor was showing faults because of the faulty cat. That would be a cheap and effective way to eliminate some possibilities. Let me know what you find out......
good luck

STETT Performance -
Everything BMW
921 J Place, Suite 200
Plano, TX 75074
469-767-3309

OEM Repairs and Maintenance
Extended Warranty Service
Pre-Purchase Inspections
Everything Performance (brakes, turbos, Nitrous, Cams, Complete Engines, Clutches/Flywheels etc)
-----------

STETT Performance Official Grand Opening BMW Meet, May 6th 11A-3P -- Music, Food, Drawings and Tons of BMW's go to http://206.123.107.13/stett and register.. it's FREE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)