BMW Werkz banner

'92 325i Won't Start

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  lorens 
#1 ·
Hello,

We have been having very cold weather were we live and my 325i is not starting. I believe that moister might have developed in the gas tank from letting the car run a little too low on fuel. I added some gas line anti-freeze and the temperature is now a balmy -8 degrees celcius. Still nothing. It want's to go and the battery is in great shape, but it is just not catching.

Basic question's are: is it okay that I put in the gasline anti-freeze or is this some other problem that I am mistaking for a cold weather issue simply because it started when it was cold?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

#2 ·
I had a similar issue this winter in my '94 325i. The first day I tried to start it at 20 F (-7 C) it took about 5 minutes of cranking to get it to start. I just found that pressing the accelerator pedal down a little while I start in cold weather it starts up right away (and with a little more roar!). I have started it this way in temperatures all the way down to -4 F (-20 C). I have a feeling that my fuel pump might underperform a little when it is cold as it sometimes seems to have an initial lag off the line when the car is still cold.

Lastly, I don't believe that putting in the gas anti-freeze in your car will cause any problems. As long as you had a pretty full tank your engine shouldn't notice the difference really. All that stuff basically is is alcohol, which burns. It burns very clean too so if you are barely not passing emissions sometimes adding that to the fuel will make you pass.

#3 ·
intermitten cranking problem

I drove my car today to the market and my car did not start when I came back to it....

I thought this was very odd, since it didn’t even crank. It seemed like the battery was TOTALLY DEAD... but the radio and lights worked.

Then I went to make a phone call and came back to the car tried starting it and it successfully started. I also had the same thing again the next day and got a jump and cranked fine.
I have since changed the battery,but no luck still does the same.If anyone has any Idea please help.Thanks:confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.