BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com (http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/)
-   3-Series (E36) (http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/3-series-e36/)
-   -   Gas door (http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/3-series-e36/gas-door-77129.html)

One3six-m3 01-26-2013 08:24 AM

Gas door

Hey fellas, am a new born when it comes to bmw haha. As described on my new member thread, i got hands on a 98 4dr m3 so red with dove gray interior(think thats whats called). Anyways i had a question about gas door and is suppose to operate. For some reason gas door will only stay locked with door lock. Once i unlock doors the gas door also opens. Is this normal? Is gas door module bad? Thanks in advance guys!

Ivan413 01-26-2013 04:07 PM

Gas door

Wow lucky you I've been trying to find a 98 m3 coupe. Yes that is normal the gas should lock when car is locked and open when doors are unlocked

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

One3six-m3 01-27-2013 01:09 AM

Gas door

Oh ok. Thanks ivan. Now i gotta inspect that door because it stays open so when i lock doors gas door stays open so the rod doesnt catch door n i have to hold in if i want it lock. Dont know if is missing a spring or something. Ill check

Ivan413 01-27-2013 10:47 AM

Gas door

Your welcome. Oh ok yeah I'm not sure what the piece is called to help you but I hope it's something simple. Good luck

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Lord Vader 01-27-2013 10:30 PM

Welcome to Bimmerwerkz.

As part of the central locking system the gas door will lock as well to prevent gas theft or tampering. Each door locks from a device called the actuator. The actuator converts an electronic signal from the Central Locking Module into a mechanical action (locking or unlocking). Overtime these actuators will start to fail. Causes vary as to why, but they have components that wear out. If all the doors lock/unlock fine but the gas door doesnt then you should replace the actuator. Using a voltmeter make sure you have power going to it first.

One3six-m3 01-28-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Vader (Post 652651)
Welcome to Bimmerwerkz.

As part of the central locking system the gas door will lock as well to prevent gas theft or tampering. Each door locks from a device called the actuator. The actuator converts an electronic signal from the Central Locking Module into a mechanical action (locking or unlocking). Overtime these actuators will start to fail. Causes vary as to why, but they have components that wear out. If all the doors lock/unlock fine but the gas door doesnt then you should replace the actuator. Using a voltmeter make sure you have power going to it first.

Thats for ur info. Doors and gas door actuators all work is just that gas door stays open so when gas door actuator activates, it does catch door. I was looking at door n it has something that i guess it works as a spring to keep door close and prob worn or lost its tension. But not an expert just guessing.

Lord Vader 01-28-2013 08:05 PM

One3six-m3 01-29-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Vader (Post 652670)

Yup thats the one. I didnt have time to look at it today but will sometime this week. If it lost its tension than ill just purchase a new one. Thanks again lord vader