BMW Werkz banner

e36- knocking under acceleration-solution

6K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  brucie 
#1 ·
i know there has been many threads on this subject, and i no less than others have tried for several weeks to figure out what my problem was, by pure chance i happened to go under the car to change the fuel filter, and just was checking it over underneath while i had it jacked up

checking all the usuals, propshaft centre mount gearbox rubber mounts, then just happened to look at the brace that holds the gearbox mounts and found that it moved quite easily, 2 of the bolts where loose on one side so it meant that when i was accelerating it was thumping underneath the car, noise seemed to be around the passenger footwell but wasnt sure, went and tightened the bolts back in and used locktite to make sure they wont move in a hurry, took the car a run and hey presto no more knocking, now its running like it should again,
so for anyone with this type of happening just check them bolts before going to the expense of buying parts
all there is , is 2 x 13mm bolts on either side of the brace, 2 on the left side of the vehicle in the european model and free to get at with a ratchet and socket, the other 2 are above part of the exhaust and i used a 13mm ring spanner for them,

be nice to know if this solves anyone elses problem of a loud knocking noise under acceleration

See less See more
#5 ·
ah right , hopefully it helps someone along the way
sorry if my reply seemed a bit quick and too the point,
unfortunately in this part of the world when someone replies with something like that it usually means they are being rude
thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.