BMW Werkz banner

acceleration

2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  jmo69 
#1 ·
hi i have a '97 316i, i bought it second hand from my brother. i had to fix one or two things but otherwise its all good.
the one thing im not satisfied wth though, is the acceleration.
its like when you flat foot it in first gear it kind of stalls, its got speed but its not instant, it builds up gradualy. when i want to spin it, it just jerks
a friend said to check the air mass sensor but a mechanic said it was ok, another person said it was the clutch but another mechanic said that was ok too. i m so fed up that i dont know what to do,
i went to have it diagnosed on a computer but the only errors were the exhuast sensor and right front wheel, the exhuast had a leak, i repaired that but still no quick response when stepping on the accelerator.
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 ·
Sounds to like either you have a vaccum leak or you have a fuel pump problem.

#3 ·
hi, thanks i have been to so many mechanics and they all have there own theory. how do i diagnos a vacum leak and pump problem.
some other things i forgot to mention are
-the ventilation valve was damaged so i replaced it with a second hand one.
-when i engage the first gear or reverse gear sometimes no matter how i balance the clutch and gas peddle it still jerks a bit.
-when i start the car sometimes the idling is not smooth it will drop and if i step on the gas it will go off so i leave it and after a few moments it picks up by it self
-FINALLY when accelerating i can hear the engine racing, or rather hear the power in the engine but its like it doesnt reach the tires. (the increase in revs is not proportional to the speed), i hope im making sense.

go figure............................

#4 ·
Deffo sounds like a fuel problem to me, give your last 7 digits of your VIN number and I will check out the fuel feed diagrams.

#6 ·
Should be on your reg document or road worthy doc or at the bottom of the windscreen outside or under the hood/bonnet on one of the suspension towers its a long number and includes letters all I need is the last 7.

#9 ·
Its one of 2 things the Mass Air Flow Sensor or the fuel filter.

What I would do is unplug the MAF whilst running and let me know what happens, as for the fuel filter if it hasn't been changed in the last 20,000 miles its about time.

As for bailing out ....Never just work and I do have to sleep, also do we have a time difference?

#12 ·
You said it's a 316, 4 cyls. don't have a lot of guts, just gas mileage. Swap in an m50, m52, s50 or s52 if you want more acceleration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.