BMW Werkz banner

HELP Front seats won't go in! no seat to drive car with!

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  marti5 
#1 ·
Hi Me yet again, I finally got the rear bolsters/seats into my 318is coupe. Great. Now all that's left is to put the front seats in. hmm... the tracks won't line up, it's like they are out of line with two the front 'bolt posts'? Like one track is way foward and the other is back. Any ideas on how to correct this? I think both front seats may be like it but I'm not sure as I haven't tried the drivers seat yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#3 ·
Hmm no I don't have any pics unfortunately. Let me try to describe it moreso. As you know there are two tracks to each seat. One track is much more far foward than the other and therefore won't line up with the front bolts that it 'hooks' onto. The backs don't line up either. So the metal track the one that bolts to the floor is out of line. I can get one side in on the front but then the other side is way out of line. I kinda noticed the others were when I removed them but they were I'm assuming factory fitted to the car and all the bolts were tight etc but it did seem like one side was slightly more forward than the other. With the leather ones (that I'm putting in) it seems like one side is considerably more forward than the other. Hopefully this has made it a bit clearer without pics. Thanks.

#4 ·
Are they electric or manual operated, may be the runner on the seat is not in the right place, ie, plug seat in and move back or forth the runner may line up, same with manual lever.

#5 ·
They are manual seats. I have managed to get the drivers seat in without too much problem but I'm pretty sure the runners on that seat were lined up anyway. So as for the passenger seat, are you saying that I need to put the seat flat somewhere and try and slide the seat backwards and forwards as if I'm in the car adjusting the seat? Would that then make the runners line up? (The drivers seat was difficult to move back and forth but it eventualy did and I've oiled it a bit to help it continue to be able to move when necessary) Thanks for the tips.

#9 ·
I did that and it worked! I was able to bolt the seat in! Thanks so much. Except that now I've got yet another problem. lol My wonderful mother decided to have a go in the car today and tried to move her seat back and pulled the lever using a bit of force because the seat wouldn't move back as it's stiff and does take a bit of pushing back on it with ones body. Well as a result of pulling the lever with force it broke off! Luckily the seat is still in the position for me to drive the car but if anyone taller than me gets in they will have a problem. Any ideas on what I can do? Will I have to get yet another whole seat? :conf

#10 ·
perhaps weld a piece of metal in place of the sheared handle, possibly scavenge for just the handle? not entirely sure since im stuck with super heavy electrics but i would go the weld option. a properly done weld is stronger than the original. often enought the metal around the weld bends or breaks before a good weld does. just my $.02

#11 ·
Hi, firstly if it was that stiff I would say its not quite lined up remove and do what you did to the passenger seat, as for the lever, if its flat plate drill 2 holes and bolt or weld, if its tubular find a piece of steel pipe to go over a drill and bolt either side of the break.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.