BMW Werkz banner

will a 97 328i engine fit a 94 325i (both sedans)

6K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  RexKing86 
#1 ·
the 328 is manual

the 325 is auto

thanks in advance!

#2 ·
its should, but you would need to convert the car to OBD-II as well. Unless your dropping in an M3 engine, idk if its really worth it. the 2.8 has a little more torque and is a little faster, but I doubt its worth an engine swap... drop an M in there, or just got buy a 328.

#6 ·
dementievafan said:
its should, but you would need to convert the car to OBD-II as well.

wat does this mean

The engine's ECU computer, harness, sensors, additional exhaust sensors, etc..... are all different (OBDI vs. OBDII). You are looking at big bucks unless someone just gave you the 328i donor car and you can do a side-by-side parts swap. Other than that its not worth the hassle. If you want a 328, there are tons of them on the market. Or pickup a 330 or M3 and save the headaches.

Mike

#8 ·
Hamfisted said:
The engine's ECU computer, harness, sensors, additional exhaust sensors, etc..... are all different (OBDI vs. OBDII). You are looking at big bucks unless someone just gave you the 328i donor car and you can do a side-by-side parts swap. Other than that its not worth the hassle. If you want a 328, there are tons of them on the market. Or pickup a 330 or M3 and save the headaches.

Mike
actually yea i just got a 328 whole car which is totalled except for the engine for dirt cheap, and it has 70k on the motor, my 325 has 160k so im thinking about swapping, what ya guys think? thx for the replies btw, and lol rex man im not the one doing it itll be my mechanic. If i did it it would take a decade

#10 ·
while its not in a car...

hypothetical situation...keep the 328 engine out of the car and fix it up for storage. Then drive the 325 till it croaks or you break it. So when that happens you just swap the engines. By that time you have collected some additional mods. and get all the work done at once. and bam. your car has been ressurrected and it now bigger, meaner, and just plain fun. just a thought.

#12 ·
i'm pretty sure the guy isn't that retarded to think an extra hp or two is worth the swap, im pretty sure he wants to do it since the engine has less than half the miles of his current engine, just a thought

oh and to answer the question it'll fit

they're the same body

same engine bay

it'll "literally" fit

as far as the other stuff goes i don't know the specifics but if you're having a qualified mechanic do it, i'm sure they'll know what to do

#13 ·
SHAHAB323IS said:
i'm pretty sure the guy isn't that retarded to think an extra hp or two is worth the swap, im pretty sure he wants to do it since the engine has less than half the miles of his current engine, just a thought

oh and to answer the question it'll fit

they're the same body

same engine bay

it'll "literally" fit

as far as the other stuff goes i don't know the specifics but if you're having a qualified mechanic do it, i'm sure they'll know what to do

lol thx yea u read my mind

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.